Cleaned up photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaned up photo

I posted this sometime ago to see if I could get the name of the rider - who is Russ Darnell. A member of the Nicholson site has 'tidied' up the image which had a bit of damage - it looks better now.
    I thought I would repost it so once the weather warms up you can get out there and practice what he is doing with ease - by the look of it.

Anyone up for it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Russ Darnell large.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	97383

Great pic! Nice job, Tony

Comment

Great pic indeed Tony, and as you say he's making it look so effortless...

My first taste of American Flat Track racing was via the movie 'On Any Sunday', like many of a certain age here in the UK. I vividly remember the scene where the rider is cutting the tread on his rear tire with a razor blade to optimise grip! I guess the condition and grading of the track helps too, but still, you've got to have some commitment to lay it over and keep it pinned like that, not to mention talent and lots of practice. Respect!!

The rare USA spec Greeves TT model is another interesting connection to the flat track scene of course. (see attached, a 1967 bike.)

Brian.
      Attached Files

Comment

The last time I had a rear wheel out like that with a lean was going round Hammersmith bus garage (long gone) just where the buses came out. Diesel induced slide on my Thruxton Velocette which ended up me doing a good slide as well - bloody buses!

Comment

Like Brian my first exposure to flat track was On Any Sunday, with Jim Rice the featured rider getting thoroughly beaten up after crashing. Years later I was was living in Pennsylvania and used to watch the San Jose mile(I think) on late night TV. Bubba Shobert did most of the winning on a Honda in those days. Finally, a few years ago I went to the Indianapolis mile on the Friday night before the MotoGP. It was worth the wait. Watching the riders go across the line in train at a "buck and a quarter" before scrubbing off the speed, brakeless, for the corners is pretty impressive.
          Last edited by KevinLS; 16/01/2024, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X