Arrangement of spacers etc for my Hawkstone wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrangement of spacers etc for my Hawkstone wheels

Lacking anything better to do at the moment I decided I would have a look at the wheels on the Hawkstone (1958) rolling chassis I will be fitting a Triumph engine to. The wheels have an assortment of spacers and washers but I am far from confident that these are the original setup. For instance, there is a clear circlip groove on the drive side of the rear wheel hub - I assume for bearing retention - and a similar one on the front wheel brake side but neither have a circlip fitted. The hubs are the steel type without paddles.

What would be really useful would be a diagram showing the spacers etc especially if these had dimensions attached.

Living in hope.......

There is a thread on hubs with drawings https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...s-hub-drawings

Comment

Many thanks John, that'll give me something to go on.

Comment

You might consider putting a more powerful brake on the front, Silverstone- Triumph or Norton twin leading shoe. Honda ones have been fitted as well.

Comment

I do have a full width hub from Liam of this parish but for the initial build am going to stick with what I have. The 3TA engine is pretty weedy and I have no plans to explore the further eaches of its performance - just to meander gently around the local lanes.

Comment

I never worry about me going too fast it is the unexpected vehicle that comes around a blind bend or the car that overtakes and then jams on their brakes. That is why I like decent brake on the front. My Grumph is considerably heavier than my 250 Ranger and even that has a 7 inch brake.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0768.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	94611

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0769.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	94612

Comment

I do take the point Tony but being used to an early 1950s Norton with a fairly pathetic 7" front brake and considerably more weight I'll see how it goes. I have heard that the eraly type forks like mine aren't really up to a much more effective brake.

Comment

I have a 1965 Triumph Tiger 90 (which is up for sale btw!), which performs quite well with it's 27bhp, but the front brake is typical of the day, a bit feeble, rather like a tin hub on a Greeves! However the back brakes always seemed to work better, and used in conjunction with each other, can retard one's progress well enough I find, both on the Triumph and my Greeves.

As they say in the IAM 'ride at a speed from which you can stop within the distance you can see to be clear'. A good adage to remember!

Comment

Yes, the back brake on the Norton is significantly more effective than the front - as you'd expect with a pedal a foot or so long! I think riders of the time were much more cautious about using front brakes given tyres which were like wood and road surfaces probably even worse than today's!

Comment

True! The old bikes need to be ridden very differently from modern ones, for sure.

Comment

Working...
                    X