Griffon Front-End Info Needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffon Front-End Info Needed!

Come on all you Griffon spotters! Please help me sort out another fine mess!

The later Model 60 Griffons were fitted with fork yokes that were about 10 mm narrower. This had a knock-on effect with the brake plate (boss machined off), spacers, spindle and even the brake arm and steering stops.

I have a very unusual habit of taking several bikes apart at once and then mixing up all the bits! I now have a pile of wide and narrow bits and am trying to work out what goes with what.

I have had a search through the drawings and have found a few details but not enough.

Is there anybody out there with a Model 60 front end apart that could possibly knock up a few dimensioned drawings?

I think this may help out quite a few people as I have seen other bikes with mixed up forks and brakes and this appears to be an area that is not readily understood. I know I am not alone in this as 'Gary the Griffon' in Cornwall is also in the same boat and we are working together on this.

I will have another look at the drawings to see what can be used as a starter.

Thanks,

Hopeless of Horsham

Hi Rob - I think both of my griffons frames even my QUB are early ones - but tell me what dimension I am looking at and will measure both of mine...and if I can help out I will. .......

Not very helpful of woldingham

Comment

Thanks Kim, I'll sort out something a bit more tangible! The top yokes are also different. Might even try putting a pic on here!

Cheers,

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
        Thanks Kim, I'll sort out something a bit more tangible! The top yokes are also different. Might even try putting a pic on here!

Cheers,

Rob
        Hi Rob and Kim.

Here are a few pics of a model 61D (?) 1972 380. Model 60 frames used the peg style fork stop and what I call the neutral steering triple clamp on the newer Ceriani fork. The brake torque arm has a different shape and as Rob stated the backing plate was machined flat to compensate for the narrower clamps. Not sure if the axle and spacer are different from models 56 & 58, but I would assume they are.

Interesting note. I have a few Griffon Enduro frames model 60N and 61N and the gusset to the steering head is electric wired welded and not brazed...most of the Enduros that came through Nicholson had Metal Profile forks with a slight leading axle.

And yes, the handlebar mounts have different mounting and are machine for standard 7/8 bars and not the Greeves 1 inch bars.

I hope this helps out comparing the early frame and the later model frame.

Cheers!
        Kenny Sykes
        USA
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post

Cheers,

Rob
          Rob and Kim,

While I'm at it, here is a pic of the early frame and fork stop.

Note the tucked in fork angle on the early fork.

I like these better for they steer better than the newer model 60 fork for my riding style anyways.

Kenny
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Kenny - this is very helpful!
            Looking at the pictures then my 250 Griff - frame 60G - is clearly of the newer narrower version - it also has 7/8" bars not 1" - so Rob - I could take some dimensions off for you - or help with the parts mix and match
            Cheers Kim

Comment

Working...
            X