Malcolm Davis' MDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malcolm Davis' MDS

I noticed this for sale:- http://www.owensmotoclassics.co.uk/p...m-davis-1963/? ; also listed on Car & Classics.

What is interesting is the modification to the rear subframe top shock mount. It clearly provides optional positions for the top mount; serving the same purpose as the slot arrangement on Velocettes. Anyone seen it before? Was it a known mod back in the day, either official, or otherwise? It looks as though a longer shock than standard would be needed, otherwise it is lowering the machine at the rear. The period photo of him in action shows a different arrangement on the off-side, so obviously not in place then. Also, I am wondering if the swinging arm has been lengthened......

Any thoughts or knowledge of this, anyone?

Ian C.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Malcolm Davis MDS nearside.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	531.0 KB
ID:	93014

This bike 24MDS591 has been for sale with Owens since July 2022, dont seem to be any takers, presumably price too high. Strange that the rear shock mountings have been modified to give a more upright position, current trend is to be more laid down!

Comment

They don't state a price; POA; rather annoying! Not that it being for sale was my point. Rather, it is to pick brains to see if anyone knows about this mod on the MDS. Obviously you don't.

Ian C.

Comment

I have the answer (in case anyone but me is interested? Or maybe John & I are the only ones who didn't know?) It was a mod done on works bikes in '63, along with a works-modified barrel. There is a picture of Dave Bickers on an MDS with the same modification, on page 39 of the Carrick/Walker book, riding in the 1963 Spanish GP. I can find no mention of it in the text, though, nor in Colin's book, so it was either considered too insignificant to mention, or escaped the authors' notice. This at a time when engine bottom end and gearbox failures were getting too regular, with the Villiers motors being tuned way beyond their design remit.

An interesting machine therefore, but with a POA tag in the advert, the seller no doubt wants to much; or thinks he does! Sellers should state the price if they want to achieve a sale, imo; call me old-fashioned!

Comment

Good research Ian, interesting to know, it does remind me of my Thruxton Velocette- those were the days

Comment

Thanks Tony. Do you reckon you could start your Thruxton now? Could you then??!! A friend of mine has, along with other makes and models, 3 Velos; a 1959 MAC, a Venom circa 1959'ish, and a 1937 500 MSS. They all only ever start when they feel like it!

Back to the subject, that was an interesting chapter in the works scramblers development. That rear suspension was dropped on the Challenger, with the top mount back to the usual place, while the bottom mount was moved forward on the swinging arm, providing more rear wheel travel for the same length shock. The Anglians did much the same.

Comment

By coincidence, I have just spotted Mike Meadows' reference to the works suspension mod in the penultimate paragraph of his excellent article on Mick Miller in this months Leading Link.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221221_132420025.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	93043 Ian you might be interested in this photo of Badger Goss on MDS from post on Facebook by Pete Mitchell

Comment

You could try to contact Tony Davis to see if he has any memory of this.

Comment

Hi Simon. Good picture; thanks. He got a very tight bend on his exhaust.

Brian. Good suggestion. Having said that, I think I have probably uncovered what I was looking for; info on the rear suspension setup which I hadn't seen before. Clearly it is known about, whilst not showing up in the books, although it had until now escaped me; so job done.

Ian C.

Comment

Ian ,the bike Badger is riding looks the same as the Malcolm Davis MDS ,rear suspension,exhaust look the same to me ,the only difference I can see is the engine cradle.

Comment

Simon. Yes, I agree; thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X