• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What model is this?

I've been offered fo sale a Greeves motorcycle, with -

engine no - 207a 39809d
    frame no - 61 - 3919

Can anyone identify the model, and whether the engine/frame match, please.

Thanks, Mike

Greeves Identity.

Hi Mike,

According to the GRA website, the frame is most probably from an MDS;

1961 24MCS Moto-Cross Scrambler 256cc Villiers 34A, Model Number M18, Frame Number 61/3650

You'll note that this model was fitted with a Villiers 34A engine (with Greeves Square barrel.)

According to data in the Carrick/Walker Villiers Book ('Villiers-Everybody's Engine' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Villiers-Eve...3146107&sr=1-1 ), the engine you've been offered with the bike is a Villiers 6E, info as follows;

207A 6E, produced from 1948-1953, Supplied to Francis-Barnett (Falcon 54 and 55 Models), and had a V4/5 Carb as standard.

For future reference, to check Greeves frame numbers have a look at the GRA website for a comprehensive listing; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/identify

As I mentioned in a recent post, GRA members can apply for a search to made of the factory dispatch records and this will usually show the number for the engine fitted to the machine when it originally left the factory. However, as we know engines/parts did tend to get swapped about a bit over the years....

Hope this helps,

Brian.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 23/12/2010, 11:22 PM. Reason: Links added.

Comment

Hey Presto

61/3919 was factory fitted with engine number 305D2119 and sold by Comerfords 31st May 1961. Brian was right with the model. MCS.

Answer supplied as a one off.

Phil
      Last edited by Phil Hyde; 24/12/2010, 03:34 PM. Reason: More text. and spelllling

Comment

Thanks to you both for this information. It verifies what I expected. The owner says he has owned the bike for many years, and this was the way he purchased it. Who knows?
        I'd like the rolling chassis without the motor, but even then, freight from NZ to Australia would add many hundreds of $. If it had the correct motor, probably worth it.

Dunno.
        Mike

Comment

Working...
        X