Challenger taper head bearing removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenger taper head bearing removal

Anyone able to shed some light on the seemingly permanent nature of the bearing cups in the steering head of my Challenger. Seriously regretting the decision to attempt to replace these immovable little sods but I am unfortunately now committed to seeing it through. To date have tried heating...cooling.. knocking out with large screw drivers...grinding...yelling...punching...exorcism and they have not moved a single iota. How the hell do you get these out and why are they so an insanely a tight a fit?
    Finally had to walk away before I either destroyed the headstock or lost a limb. Any advice from the informed to the ludicrous welcome at this point
    Regards 'Frustrated of Australia'

There are responses to previous questions on this very topic on here. Suggest you do a Search under "Taper bearing removal" (Might need to upgrade your Forum status first to GRA Member, though).
    Good luck sorting it!

Comment

Hi Frustrated of Australia

Plenty of references on the forum to bearing removal.

If you have access to a stick welder run a short weld on the bearing surface. It will loosen it enough. Failing that weld a bit of scrap steel across the bearing.

good luck

Comment

This approach seems to be the way to go...thanks for advice always appreciated.
        regards Dug

Comment

Super big thanks to all for the advice ...weld around inner cup face...tap, tap.. and out they came

Comment

Working...
          X