Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering head bearings-removal

Hi All,
    Can someone tell me how you are supposed to remove the steering head bearing races from the frame? This is the taper roller type. I cannot see any holes to tap them through, cant see warming the frame doing anything as it appears to have a steel sleeve cast in so that would expand at the same rate?

Thanks

Steering head bearing removal

Dear RCS

A piece of flat mild steel bar 2" x 1/4" end on to the bearing faces. A couple of good tack welds (stick or MIG) and drift out from the opposite end. Yes, it is a a bit terminal for the bearing but they are going in the bin after all, aren't they?

Phil

Comment

Yes, I'd second that Phil! I've just taken the bearings out of my TGS frame. For the top one I made up the 'official' Greeves service tool and it came out a treat. Not so the bottom one as I could not get the tool under the bearing. Being much poorer than Phil, I migged an old, rusty bolt across the bearing and it tapped out very easily!

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
        Being much poorer than Phil, I migged an old, rusty bolt across the bearing and it tapped out very easily!
        I'll bet you were pleased to find one mate, after Dicky's efforts tidying up the workshop/tuning establishment/office! Hope it was a Tescos 'Extra Value' item!

Brian.

Comment

Thats the only thing I could think of, other than doing a DIY slide hammer to shock them out. I'll do as everyone else then and weld something across. I have a lovely TIG set so I should be able to get a neat no splatter tack

Why oh why did Greeves design the headstock like they did? This is on my Silverstone but I expect all the MX's on taper bearings to be the same?

Comment

Ground it out using a small wheel on a Dremel, laborious but it works.

Comment

The Taper Roller Saga.

Spooky...been housebound today due to the snow Up North. Just penned an article for Leading Link that included this bit.

I then tackled the taper roller headraces that were buried deep in the headstock. It all started the usual way, as it does with rebuilds. A gentle tap with a screwdriver progresses to a cold chisel, copious amounts of penetrating fluid, a selection of ever-larger hammers, and eventually the use of blowtorches. I gave up dejected.
              Next time I saw the headstock it was very hot, had a huge German puller inserted up to the hilt and a professional motorcycle mechanic of forty years experience hanging off the end of a lengthy extension bar. He gave up as well.
              I borrowed the puller, left it in the headstock under steadily increasing tension and seduced the bearing race with diesel every night for a fortnight. One morning there was an almighty "crack" and outer race "parted" from the headstock with great relief.

Note: the puller had "claws" that sat on the headstock and a huge rawlbolt type thing that inserted into the hole and gripped the underside of the outer race when it was expanded. Tightening the Big Bolt on the puller expanded the rawlbolt and at the same time drew it outwards against the pressure of the claws on the headstock. All this was not for the feint hearted. A GRA member questioned if I knew what I was doing at the time - but believe me, some of these bearings are extremely tight.

Comment

The Taper Roller Saga

Just found pictures of the puller in the previous post.
                They are here as attachments.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by blackshiver View Post
                  Spooky...been housebound today due to the snow Up North. Just penned an article for Leading Link.
                  And a cracking article it is, Ian. Thanks.

You're going to like this one, chaps!

LL Editor
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

Ian's MDS Restoration by any chance..?

Perhaps a tad off topic with this reply, but what the heck! I couldn't resist posting these pics, if you're refering to what I hope you're refering too that is Colin..?! Hope this whets everyone's appetite-it certainly has mine!

Can't wait to read it, sounds great!!!

Thanks Ian!

Brian.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 07/12/2010, 02:33 PM. Reason: Pic added.

Comment

head bearings removal

the way to remove these is to use a stick welder[ best] or mig and turn up the power.put in a heavy bead all round the inner [middle] track.let it cool off.they will fall out.i have just done this on my mds.
                      francis

Comment

Working...
                      X