Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alloy Mainframe Query.

hi everyone.
    Can anyone throw a bit of light on this, i`ve got a alloy main frame with original taper headstock & the frame no is 14171/TA.
    Now am i right in thinking that all the t/a`s would have been the old ball bearing h/stocks, if this is so, have i got old numbers on a newer frame, I did read somewhere that you could buy a replacement beam from the factory with no stamp on the head & then you restamped it accordingly, but i don`t know.
    I am building a pre 60 c15 engined scrambler for next season & would like to use it in the build, but i`m not sure about the dates the taper headstock came in (1960) i`m thinking.
    thanks & if anyone uses a c15 greeves, any build advise very welcome.

Frame no

Frame No 14171/TA seems too high. The 1958 25TA Scottish Twin started at 8651/TA & they certainly did not make 5520 of this model. The 1958
    20TA started at 8001/TA so again too high a number. Looks like a made up number.

Comment

Alloy Main Beam

Hi Dave.

You are sort of right about the date, however as with a lot of Greeves 'bits' dating is a 'movable feast'. Whilst it is unusual for a beam to be written off, it was by no means rare, I've seen a few twisted ones! So, it MAY have been a replacement, or it may be, as John says, a made up number. Does it have a short, straight top tube, or does it curve round to the back of the gearbox mount? I'd suspect that it's original No was 1417/TA, but without seeing it I can't be sure. I know that the GRA hold records for such details, and if you are a member, they'll be happy to help.
      Otherwise, as you are planning to make a 'hybrid' with a BSA motor, does it really matter? Just get the correct to frame forks, (and with Taper rollers you could use Teles of course), and go from there.

Any help?

Comment

BSA Greeves

I have a few pictures of BSA engined machines. I will look them out. In the meantime look in the latest edition of Classic Dirt Bike (No.17) page 73. There is a letter and pic from Derek Pickard and features his Greeves B40. Not a C15 I know, but close. Derek was an early member of the GRA and a good journalist. He wrote the best selling British 250 Racer, now sadly long out of print.

pHIL

Comment

my c15 greeves

I have a c15 engined greeves the engine was fitted in 1962 by a friend of mine who had the bike new in 54 . One of the jobs that takes time is the oil tank as it needs to be central and away from the exhaust i dont know how to post pictures only via e mail hope this helps

Comment

Derek Pickard's Greebsa B40.

Originally posted by Phil Hyde View Post
            I have a few pictures of BSA engined machines. I will look them out. In the meantime look in the latest edition of Classic Dirt Bike (No.17) page 73. There is a letter and pic from Derek Pickard and features his Greeves B40. Not a C15 I know, but close. Derek was an early member of the GRA and a good journalist. He wrote the best selling British 250 Racer, now sadly long out of print.

pHIL
            Hi Phil,

I've posted something about Derek's Greebsa (etc) here, in 'Non-Greeves Engines'; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...=4595#post4595

A cracking bike (and a brilliant book too!)

Brian.
            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 18/11/2010, 06:01 PM. Reason: Link added.

Comment

alloy mainframe.

hi, thanks for replies, john, pete, phil.
              Yes i was not to worried about the frame number as its going to be a special, it was more a case of being able to use that h/stock in the pre 60 scramble class without cheating! ( well not to much anyway).
              If they were introduced early 1960, some would have left the factory in late 59 & thats good enough for me. ( shoehorn is my middle name)
              i will check out the b40 pics, but i want to build it in period style & i`ll stick with the old l/links, well thanks anyway & by the way i am a member, just have not been upgraded yet.

Comment

Hi Dave!

Sounds just the job Dave, and would love to see some pics when it's finished.

Cheers for confirming your GRA membership too mate-pleased to hear it!

Brian.

Comment

All I can add to this is that as far as I know, the scramblers pre-dated the trials bikes by a year. The 1960 SCS Hawkstone has the bigger beam and taper rollers but this did not come in on the trials models until the 1961 TD.

Comment

Working...
                  X