Mds ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mds ?

What do you scrambles experts make of this one then?

Find your dream classic car from over 10,000 private adverts plus many more trade adverts on Europe's No 1 classic cars site. 100% F...

Mds

I dont know about Spinning Wheel but they can spin a good yarn. Badges look wrong colour too

Comment

Mds?

Hi.........No, its an MCS, but in superb condition by the look of it.
      The MCS used the earlier frame with the seat pillar 'tie' rod from the end of the (straight) top tube to the swinging arm pivot mount tube. (You can see this). The MDS had the post 62 production frame where the top tube curved around to form a complete loop by bolting to the rear of the (welded) engine cradle, rather than the plates of the earlier types. The MCS also had the earlier type of LL forks, with the more acute, welded in loop on the wheel mount arm. It should have a pair of stiffening plates fitted to the Torsion bush studs. it has got the correct vaned 'pie crust' wheel hubs, but the high tensile rims have been replaced.
      Engine wise, I believe the early MCS began with the 33A based unit inherited from the SCS, but changed to the 'long stroke' 34A type. This changed to the 36A 'lightweight crankcase' type for the MDS as Bickers & the factory developed the Scramblers. Later types such as the ME used the 'big fin' Starmaker, but Greeves were developing their own brand at that time. Any Greeves ex Factory Staff put me right on this one? The Parkinson conversion therefore is an add on, as is the exhaust system. I had one with a Mayfield pipe on a Villiers cylinder. In 1971 I regularly rode it to school, upsetting the neighbours! Otherwise this bike has a lot to recommend it as it is. A bit pricey, but it's a Dealer after profit. I'd see it as a showpiece rather than a 'use in anger' item.
      As far as Spinning Wheel go......I noticed them a few years ago. I had heard of a few people being 'stung', and it must be said, whilst their wares are top notch, they ARE expensive!

Caveat Emptor!
      Last edited by Peter Rotherham; 25/10/2010, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Mcs!

I think the tank badges are MCS style too, unique to that model. Modern 'pattern' versions (which these look like) are printed in a dark royal blue onto silver foil. I reckon the flash has 'bounced' on the silver background a bit, lightening the badges colour and imparting the slightly greenish tinge.

Peter, am I right in thinking it ought to have an ali tank instead of the steel type (maybe some bikes were fitted with these too?), with an additional transfer across the top ('Greeves Moto Cross Special'), in gold script with a dark blue outline?

Chainguard also looks right for an MCS, and I think the rear brake linkage (revised on the MDS) looks ok, although the pedal itself looks slightly different. The airbox looks like it might be a later (perhaps modded MDS) version than the original 'Garda' type.

Nice bike, but expensive as you say......! Cheaper than some though, it could be said.

Brian.

Comment

Spinning Wheel

The song of Blood, Sweat and Tears named Spinning Wheel.Check out my other music videos!

Blood Sweat & Tears

Comment

MCS pics.

I had a dig and remembered I'd seen this machine for sale a while back on EBay.

Here's a few pics;

Brian.
            Attached Files

Comment

Certainly looks to be the very same bike, Brian. Any idea what it sold for?

You are right in what you say about the spec of the "MDS", and this one is much closer to an MCS, though not quite there........perhaps it's a "glorified" Hawkstone?

The MCS in standard production format that I remember being on sale in Bickers shop in Ipswich (at £250 from the factory) definitely did have an alloy tank with Monza cap, a Garda filter with the paper filter being set on the horizontal above the air-box, and the linkages which have been mentioned, from the clamp bolt of the suspension rubbers to the bottom bolt of the front damper units.

I dreamt of owning one, but it was out of the question on my Apprentice wages!
              Last edited by johnrunnacles; 25/10/2010, 10:29 PM.

Comment

MCS (Fork Damper Links, etc.)

Hi John,

I reckon it didn't sell/meet the reserve on EBay, hence perhaps being now offered for sale through a dealer, at £3.5K!

A very nice bike, but as you say, there looks to be a few 'question marks' with a few of the parts fitted, and at that money you'd want it to be as spot on as possible.

I've attached a pic of the fork damper links for reference. Note also the small washers fitted under the spoke heads to stop them pulling through the hub flange, sometimes caused by deformations after hard landings(!);

Brian.
                Attached Files

Comment

It does not seem to have any particular provanance or previous rider history so presumably just an 'ordinary' bike well restored. Had it been a works bike of Bickers etc then it would be worth £3.5k & possibly more. The dealer is just relying on buyers to be taken in by the general Greeves speel to give the impression that it 'may be' a rare or ex works bike.

Comment

Working...
                  X