News from over the pond!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News from over the pond!

Readers of our Greeves Enthusiasts page on FB will have seen a nice story where Justin Lewis has struck gold in that he has got his hands on 3 bikes from the garage of rider / dealer Chuck Boehler, and ex-MX and ISDT rider. I have the frame numbers of these and a spare frame which has now been sent to Kenny Sykes in exchange for new bits to help rebuilds. NOW THEN. Justin reports the frame number on this one as 24MXWM11. This is obviously a non-Greeves listed number, but Justin reports that Kenny was very pleased to get this one. Maybe he will confirm the stamping. So my guess is a re-frame job by WM, whoever that is / was. Obviously not the ex-owner Chuck, but would it have come from an experiment at Greeves?
    One of the bikes Justin has is a 24MX4 and he asks how many were made and were they a common export to the USA?

The WM bit indicates a legitimately stamped Works Machine. I presume it is a Challenger. Could be an interesting find.

Found it!

It is in the works bike list. It is a 360 Challenger. I'll let Kenny know the USA rider it was allocated to.

We have no way of knowing how many scramblers were exported to the USA because the factory record of bikes exported no longer exists.

So far as I know, 24MX4s are rare in the 'States. I actually owned one when I went to Greeves Days, and when I showed the guys there a photo of it they said that they didn't know such a model ever existed. Bit like the MX6 over here, eh?

Sorry Justin...

Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 18/03/2019, 04:48 PM. Reason: Info added
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Thanks for that message Colin, no wonder Kenny was excited!!!

Comment

So would the number be 36MX11

Comment

As per Colin's post, 24MXWM11 is a legitimate number.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
            As per Colin's post, 24MXWM11 is a legitimate number.
            Yes but Colin says "It is in the works bike list. It is a 360 Challenger". 360's were 36MX

This is the bike in question, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1 looks like a 250 to me and clearly frame is stamped 24MX
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 18/03/2019, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Bill Brooker told me that the competition shop often used to stamp their own numbers onto works machines, especially scramblers. The works bike list tells me it is a 360 Challenger.

Allocated to a very significant US rider, but I'll leave it to Kenny to tell you who it was...
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

What got stamped on the frame and what it might have been fitted with could well be different. The frames were common, so no problem there. The stamping is legit and that's what counts. What happened in later life and who rode it are interesting, but will not alter the numbering.

Comment

Working...
                X