X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Sprocket MCS questions....

Hi all!
    Still pondering (STILL JUST AS SCARY!!)

Soo, when we got Eleanor, the 24MCS/2/808, she came with 2 other sprockets...the one on her now looks very original with the oval holes....alot like the picture I have of Bickers (hanging on the wall)on an MCS.

She came with a smaller sprocket with same hole design and pattern and a HUGE rear also same hole pattern etc.

NOW BEAR WITH ME PLEASE..Beginner here! I know the smaller sprockets increase high end and the large increase low end...I think I have that right.
    Anyone with a scrambler that has tried a tiny or a HUGE sprocket?? I can't imagine wanting any higher end than she already has...just curious what yall thought...thanks, Tammy.

Originally posted by tammyanddaveky View Post
    Hi all!
    Still pondering (STILL JUST AS SCARY!!)

Soo, when we got Eleanor, the 24MCS/2/808, she came with 2 other sprockets...the one on her now looks very original with the oval holes....alot like the picture I have of Bickers (hanging on the wall)on an MCS.

She came with a smaller sprocket with same hole design and pattern and a HUGE rear also same hole pattern etc.

NOW BEAR WITH ME PLEASE..Beginner here! I know the smaller sprockets increase high end and the large increase low end...I think I have that right.
    Anyone with a scrambler that has tried a tiny or a HUGE sprocket?? I can't imagine wanting any higher end than she already has...just curious what yall thought...thanks, Tammy.
    Hi Tammy,

I use a 16/70 combo on my MCS, seems to work well for my scrambling outings.

Kenny

Comment

Originally posted by Bearingman View Post
      Hi Tammy,

I use a 16/70 combo on my MCS, seems to work well for my scrambling outings.

Kenny
      Thanks Kenny,
      We have the midsize rear sprocket...I need to count the teeth. What we have on her works great, just wondered what the other sprockets would do...guess the only way to truly find out is to try them out...might be a good winter project. I will have to count up the teeth on all the sprockets. It's that time of year anyway, season almost over and the other 4 bikes need sprockets and chains too.
      Thanks and have a great day!
      Tammy

Comment

Mcs / mds

Eleanor has a new born sister...think I might call her "Tammy".
        The (wrecked) original rear sprocket from 1964 had an unbelievable 70 teeth!
        Attached Files

Comment

Another one done!

Wow!!! It looked beautiful in the other pic you posted recently Blackshiver, and it's great to see another view with more detail.

What a stunner! Once again, many congratulations! As Tim Griffin would say, 'that's another one done!'

I'll bet Tammy will be pleased to hear that Eleanor has a sister too! Great write up and pics from Colin (well, Tammy I guess!) in the latest 'LL #155' (great job and issue Colin, as always. )

With that rear sprocket fitted I shouldn't think there was much need for a front wheel for the amount of time it will have spent on the ground....!!!

Brian.

Comment

Loopy sprocket, as in 'over backwards'...!!!

If you think a 70 tooth rear sprocket is something, check out this bad boy, seen on an MX4B Challenger for sale a while ago....!!!

I wonder what it was used for......hill climbing maybe, as in Mount Everest perhaps.....?!!

First person to count all the teeth gets the beers in!

Brian.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
              If you think a 70 tooth rear sprocket is something, check out this bad boy, seen on an MX4B Challenger for sale a while ago....!!!

I wonder what it was used for......hill climbing maybe, as in Mount Everest perhaps.....?!!

First person to count all the teeth gets the beers in!

Brian.
              Brian,

Top end speed was about 35! Yep, they were used for hill climbing as there are some pretty steep hills over here.

Kenny

Comment

Hi Kenny!

About the same as my Scottish then!

Bit faster coming back down the hill though, I'm guessing....(as long as you pull the clutch in...) ?!!!

They don't call that world famous event 'The Widowmaker' for nothing eh...!

Brian.

Comment

Working...
                X