X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo gear on MCS??

Hi all!

Was wondering (OH NO..SCARY!!LOL)...

Eleanor, aka 62 MCS/2/808 has always had the black spedo gear on the back wheel, had the cable when purchased in early 90's but it was thrashed. We removed it and painted it and just put it back on(the gear that is, not the cable)....havent spoken with anyone that ever heard of the speedo on the Scrambler.

Was wondering about making the cable (woulndn't be the first one we made) and have several spare cables of varying thickness....then again, not sure I want to know just how fast I am going, especially when I hit that scalded dog powerband, for which I have a WHOLE NEW RESPECT...didn't realize you basically loose all throttle response when in it.... She has taken me for quite the ride in just 2nd gear when I hit it...fortunately I kept my wits about me, stayed clear of the brakes, the buildings, and the trailers....we came to rest nice and square in a ditch...no damage or crash. (Sorry, off topic a bit)

Anyway...would love any and all input on the idea of adding it, or to know if anyone else out there with this bizarre combo??. Just undecided as to how it would look, not sure I want the speedo itself perched on her.

Thanks guys! Have a good one!
    Tammy

Originally posted by tammyanddaveky View Post
    Hi all!

Was wondering (OH NO..SCARY!!LOL)...

Eleanor, aka 62 MCS/2/808 has always had the black spedo gear on the back wheel, had the cable when purchased in early 90's but it was thrashed. We removed it and painted it and just put it back on(the gear that is, not the cable)....havent spoken with anyone that ever heard of the speedo on the Scrambler.

Was wondering about making the cable (woulndn't be the first one we made) and have several spare cables of varying thickness....then again, not sure I want to know just how fast I am going, especially when I hit that scalded dog powerband, for which I have a WHOLE NEW RESPECT...didn't realize you basically loose all throttle response when in it.... She has taken me for quite the ride in just 2nd gear when I hit it...fortunately I kept my wits about me, stayed clear of the brakes, the buildings, and the trailers....we came to rest nice and square in a ditch...no damage or crash. (Sorry, off topic a bit)

Anyway...would love any and all input on the idea of adding it, or to know if anyone else out there with this bizarre combo??. Just undecided as to how it would look, not sure I want the speedo itself perched on her.

Thanks guys! Have a good one!
    Tammy
    Tammy,

Sometimes these speedos were added for enduro events where a speedo was needed to keep tabs between check points. You can remove it from the backing plate and replace it with a plastic insert to seal the hole.

Kenny

Comment

Speedo

Originally posted by Bearingman View Post
      Tammy,

Sometimes these speedos were added for enduro events where a speedo was needed to keep tabs between check points. You can remove it from the backing plate and replace it with a plastic insert to seal the hole.

Kenny
      Once again, thanks Kenny. That makes a ton of sense! I think we may look for a speedo and add it, or at least add it to the stash of extra goodies for her...points, condensor, both fenders, etc. It's nice to have some accessories just in case you decide to change the look some. We like to keep everything reversable, if that makes sense. Take care and thanks again!
      Have a good one!
      Tammy
      Last edited by tammyanddaveky; 29/09/2010, 02:17 PM. Reason: reply to wrong discussion

Comment

Originally posted by tammyanddaveky View Post
        We like to keep everything reversable, if that makes sense.
        A basic principle of classic vehicle ownership, I believe. We're all just custodians, after all...
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

No Truer Words!!

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
          A basic principle of classic vehicle ownership, I believe. We're all just custodians, after all...
          Couldn't have been spoken truer there Collin, thats exactly how I feel...custodian and keeper of history. OH how I wish this MCS could talk, the stories she would tell, the good, bad, and the UGLY! LOL! So glad to know other folks think along the same lines, even if "others" think us, mmm, crazy...LOL
          Take care,
          Tammy

Comment

Working...
          X