1961 Moto Cross Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 Moto Cross Photo

I thought you might enjoy the attached cover photo from a moto cross programme I picked up just before Christmas.
    The programme was from a series featuring international riders held in New Zealand over our 1966 to 1967 Summer.

The international riders taking part were:
    Keith Hickman (England) 500 cc Cheyney Gold Star
    John Burton (England) Triumph Metisse
    Paul Hunt (United States) Triumph Metisse
    Tim Gibbes (Australia) on an AJS in the 500 cc class and Greeves in the 250 cc class. Interesting that he had the two machines as earlier he had used an AJS engine in a Greeves frame. See this thread:
    Greeves scramblers, e.g. Hawkstone, Hawkstone Twin, MCS, MDS, ME, Challenger, Griffon, QUB Griffon.

Anyway back to the programme and the local Greeves riders:
    - I couldn't resist the cover photo showing Ray Christianson on his Greeves. On the day he was second in Junior class race.
    - Graham Terry won the 250 cc scratch race, was 4th in the International Classic and the first NZ rider home riding a 250 against the 500's. He was also second in the International heats and 6th in the international Final.
    - Ken Eagle was second in the 250 cc scratch race making it a Greeves one two.
    - Gerald Lockett was third in the Junior class.
    - Tim Gibbes, already mentioned, got some results with the AJS but none are recorded in my programme on the Greeves.

The manufacturers represented reflect the era with Cheyney BSA, Triumph Metisse, AJS, Matchless, BSA, Triumph, Ariel, Velocette, JAP, Sparton, Dot, Jawa, and Greeves.

Regards,

Peter
    Attached Files
    Last edited by nzpeterb; 14/01/2017, 10:07 AM. Reason: Revise the reference to Tim Gibbes AJS Greeves special.
Working...
X