Ms Maddeline 24MD:)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ms Maddeline 24MD:)

We came home heavy 1 Greeves from Vintage Motorcycle Days, our British camping neighbors had her
    Meet Ms Maddeline 1963 24 MD, Hawkstone Special
    Another Blooie pipe she starts in a few kicks and runs spot on
    Wondering if steel tank correct?
    Attached Files

More pics

Another picture
    Attached Files

Comment

Tanked.

Hiya Tammy,

Doesn't anyone on Facebook know then....?!

bRiAn.

Comment

Yet another, on my phone, seems 1 at a time
        Attached Files

Comment

The final a she fits right in😉! Oh boy a matched his and her pair of Blooie's😳😉!
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tammyanddaveky View Post
            We came home heavy 1 Greeves from Vintage Motorcycle Days, our British camping neighbors had her
            Meet Ms Maddeline 1963 24 MD, Hawkstone Special
            Another Blooie pipe she starts in a few kicks and runs spot on
            Wondering if steel tank correct?
            I would think that the steel tank is original as this is a US export model, it also has smaller 19"? front wheel & lights so maybe a trail or desert racer model. The UK MDS
            had 21" front wheel & alloy barrel, yours has the 34A standard iron barrel. As you say this is an MD model. The 24MD frame number start at 24MD101 & only appears to have been made in the 1963 season, so this was probably for export as the MDS was already in production for 1962 season
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 26/07/2015, 04:12 PM.

Comment

The 1963 sales brochure indicates alloy tank for both MDS and MD models and this is supported by the 24MD illustration. This would be the UK version. Whether the tanks for the USA MD's were different I really don't know.

The contemporary 24TE trials bike came with a steel tank, so either is possible; both tanks were available at the time.
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

I have an early numbered MD, acquired some years ago as just a frame and front wheel. According to Druid, the factory records stated that the engine number indicated a standard 34A engine i.e. iron barrel and with Garda air filter. The MDS by then had a 36A engine with alloy barrel. The records showed only 3 despatched in UK and mine was the last of them being sent up to Scotland, I think in 1963.
                I can't help with the alloy or steel tank question but I am fairly sure it should have an alloy tank, as Colin says, the brochure shows an alloy tank when the MD was made available for the home market. In all respects apart from engine, air filter, and possibly an engine cradle without lightening holes it was identical to the MDS.

Comment

Only just viewed this thread, but what a lovely original looking machine it is. I've only previously come across one other MD model and that being in the early eighties at the BTSC annual meet(before the GRA was formed).
                  The tank shape looks correct and in wonderful condition, be it in steel or alloy as do most of the remaining parts too. What a find, I'll bet engine and frame numbers match also!

Comment

Working...
                  X