Motocross bike rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motocross bike rack

Hi. I am looking to get a Dave Cooper bike rack but wondered if a Greeves Hawkstone would fit and if it would be too heavy as 120kg is the max weight. Can anyone help?

I carry a Silverstone on the back of the van with a Dave Cooper rack no problem. Dogsbody

Comment

I carried a KX250, Gas Gas enduro and numerous other bikes on one, all around the country. If the rack is on a big heavy car, you hardly notice it.

I still have my old one if you're interested, I never use it any more. Most of the paint has fallen off, but its still sound.

Cheers,
      Andrew

Comment

Strange but true....I had one on the back of my Peugeot 309 with helper springs to level it out. I carried the Honda TLR200 back and forth to Wales and other places without problem. However, the centre section rotted out rather quickly.
        I was left with the outer wheel loops in good condition. In a later life, the square section parts were found to be just nice to fit over 1 inch square tubing and now have a new life as locking collars on my local narrow-gauge railway!

Comment

Bike rack.

I had a lucky escape on the way home from Telford.
          I forgot to tie the back wheel to the upright. I was helped to load my Anglian onto the rack in the rain and was not careful enough.
          Well down the A34 the bike was not visible in my mirror very busy road no layby and dark and wet fortunately the bike had twisted in the loops and just missed the road. Secured properly this time got home safely.
          It not easy to lift a bike onto the rack it took Colin Dave and me to lift it on. Thanks chaps. I will use my trailer in future.
          WHAT AN IDIOT,
          After this incompetence I think I should not be allowed to have anything to do with the GRA.
          Mike

Comment

Moto cross bike rack

Hi All, i old you Mike we all need a Matron now at 70, never mind we all do these things at times, i well remember buying a new Ossa from Bob Gollner at Waterlovile in Hampshire, I and the same thing happened an upright strut snapped at the weld and this twisted and hit the deck only thing requiring changing was a grounded off twistgrip!
            I know people with Doug Cooper racks and have had no problems, mine was a home made one? so make sure they know what they are up too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Norris View Post
              I had a lucky escape on the way home from Telford.
              I forgot to tie the back wheel to the upright. I was helped to load my Anglian onto the rack in the rain and was not careful enough.
              Well down the A34 the bike was not visible in my mirror very busy road no layby and dark and wet fortunately the bike had twisted in the loops and just missed the road. Secured properly this time got home safely.
              It not easy to lift a bike onto the rack it took Colin Dave and me to lift it on. Thanks chaps. I will use my trailer in future.
              WHAT AN IDIOT,
              After this incompetence I think I should not be allowed to have anything to do with the GRA.
              Mike
              Goodness Mike, you'd have thought with the three of us we could have got it right. Problem is I suppose, that Brad and I have neither of us ever used a car rack, we were just there to help with the lift. Plus we didn't want to be "two many cooks" offering opinions.

I have to say I didn't think it looked that secure, but thought you must know best.

Amazing how mistakes can happen when you're (1) old, (2) tired, (3) wet!

I had the tow-hitch break on a trailer once and that wasn't amusing. That was before the days of security cable. All this is why I use a van for carting bikes about. Even if they come undone, they can't go anywhere.

Anyway, glad you spotted and corrected it in time. All's well that ends well.
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

On the contrary Mike, look upon it as a qualification!

I was hunting earlier tonight for a rack I bought at a club sale about 40 years ago. Was going to try it but not so sure now. However, Martin Kemp and Paul Casling seem to get on OK with theirs.

Comment

I use one loads, I always chuck it in the boot when going to autojumbles, you never know your luck!
                  I tie the handlebars back to the roof rack and run the bike's front wheel up on a small plank. you only have to lift the back wheel then. I have carried my pre unit Tribsa, lucky cars have adjustable headlights!

Comment

Working...
                  X