Oil quantity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil quantity

Can anyone tell me how much oil to put in primary case on griffon. Have looked in forum search but can't find anything. Many thanks. Mick.

Hi,

There is a level plug in the outer primary chain case, I use an oil gun and keep filling until it runs out.

Just make sure the bike is upright.

As to the oil to put in, that will start a debate Many use atf, but personally I have used cheap 20w50 motor oil with no ill effects on all my greeves for years, I just change it regular

Regards

Scott

Comment

oil quatity

Cheers Scot,
      Outer case has no level plug. there's a large plug for clutch adjustment and a small drain plug at the bottom. I think i remember reading somewhere that correct quantity is half pint for primary case though not sure. Am i right in saying petroil mix is 20:1 and if so how do you measure the oil per gallon. Regards Mick,

Comment

Originally posted by brokabolt View Post
        Am i right in saying petroil mix is 20:1 and if so how do you measure the oil per gallon. Regards Mick,
        Best to work on 5 litres at 20 to 1 you need to add 250 milliliters of oil. Lots of domestic products, liquid soap for one, come in 250 ml bottles, so wash one of these out, fill it with oil & add to the 5 litres of petrol. Simple

Comment

The Griffon Manual quotes: 1/2 an Imperial pint (284 millilitres) of 10 or 20 weight. In my Challenger I use whatever reasonably suitable oil is to hand, sometimes it is 15W fork oil, at the moment it is light multigrade gear oil. I usually drain it out after each meeting.
          John A - 268

Comment

oil quantity

Cheers guys,
            Another query now, found a Nick Nicholson spec sheet that says 250 and 380 run at 16:1. Whats everyone else using. Cheers Mick.

Comment

Originally posted by brokabolt View Post
              Cheers guys,
              Another query now, found a Nick Nicholson spec sheet that says 250 and 380 run at 16:1. Whats everyone else using. Cheers Mick.
              I run everything at 25-1 from mid 50s Villiers to mid 80s Husky, it is more important your carburetion is correct, ie not lean, extra oil will not help, it actually makes the mixture leaner. A good full throttle blast, chop the engine and take a look at the plug, if you are not to sure on reading plugs ask someone who can. I use castor in my Greeves and Starmakers/Stormers and Silkolene in the Villiers and Huskys
              Last edited by stormer254; 18/06/2014, 10:09 PM. Reason: I wish I could spell!

Comment

oil quantity

Cheers stormer,
                I will be running on castor. If 20:1 is 250 ml per 5ltr, what is 25:1 per 5ltr.

Comment

25:1 is 200 mls per 5 litres

Comment

Oil

Divide your number 20-1or be it 25-1 into one thousand , 1000 cc that is . so 20 divided into 1000 gives you 50 cc per litre . X by your number of 5 litres gives the answer of 250cc per 5 litres .

Rob.

Comment

oil quantity

Cheers guys, Simple when you think about it. Many thanks. Mick

Comment

Working...
                      X