Bananas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bananas

I have lost not one but two sets of the tapered disc that holds the top yoke to the tubes, has anybody got any idea where I can get them or has anyone any spares please?

I always thought they were held together with expanding bolts....

Comment

You might be right, I can't remember for sure, I would have to disassemble a working set from a bike but it might explain why I can't find them!!
      Any advice ,knowledge gladly recieved

Comment

bananas

The tapered discs i believe are held on to the top bolts by a hole in the bottom of the bolt with a split pin to stop the expander (tapered disc) from dropping into the fork tubes. If like me you have undone the bolt all the way it will break so you will have to knock the disc down to release the top yoke. It might be that there wern't any split pins in to start with. I assume you have more than one set of bananas so the discs might be in the fork tubes. Mick

Comment

Spot on, Mick!

Don't know who would have any. Terry Sewell perhaps?

Or possibly Kenny Sykes in USA? (Bearingman)
          Attached Files
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Hyde
            Nothing too hard about making these. Quite a simple turning job from 1/4" mild steel with a 3/8" BSF tapped hole. There were two different sizes (OD) I believe representing the early and late forks.

I will see if I can find a drawing.

Phil
            Thanks, I am just off in to the shed to have a go!!

Comment

Thanks Phil, parts made, I am glad no one was watching!! Another question now, the top yokes bearing centre is not equal, as this is a scrambler I presume I use it to give me a shallower fork angle and slightly longer wheelbase?
              Last edited by stormer254; 10/06/2014, 10:06 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

bananas

I had the same problem when it came to re-building my bananas for my griff. Some people said centre hole nearest front and others said nearest back. This is what i did. Check and make sure centre stud is straight. Replace in bottom yoke. Do not put forks on bike yet. Offer top yoke to forks and they should line up without any persuasion. Take care when doing this as there is only a slight difference(about 1/4") if put the wrong way.and will alter the fork rake which will stop bearings from running true. Hope this is helpful, good luck. Mick.

Comment

Well they are in now, we shall see at Mortimer next weekend if I have done all the nuts up properly

Comment

Working...
                  X