Ignition timing with a Nametab on an MDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition timing with a Nametab on an MDS

Does anybody know the static ignition timing for one of Simons electronic ignitions ? Ie how many mm BTDC to advance?
    Cheers Kim

Hi Kim,

I think it's 3mm btdc. You may want to confirm this with simon, that's where mine and dads are set though mate.

See you soon

Regards

Scott

Comment

Thanks Scott
      3mm sounds the right range .... I will give Simon a call and confirm.
      At Marks Tey engine ran very hot in Percy Tawn ... So I raised the needle thinking bike was running lean .... And it didn't rev out so it was actually too rich .... So I reckon timing must be out after it's OBR rebuild !! (Old Boy Racing)
      Are you boys coming out to play soon ? We are missing the competition
      See you soon Mate
      cheers Km
      Ps looking at the time of your post you are either in Asia or you maybe it is the joys of being a dad with a little un !
      Cheers Kim

Comment

Hi Kim,

Me and the old chap will be riding a few meetings this year, probably be Adrian's meeting for our first ride out, then the east Anglian grand national. Looking forward to chasing you around again mate, mikes been pining aswell

My early hours post was not because of Elsie, she sleeps like a log,
        the bloody greyhound We have had guts ache and had me up all night!!

Keep up the good work.

Scotty

Comment

Scotty - Looking forward to resuming hostilities Championship is not the same without you and yer dad trying to knock each other off !!

Comment

I have a copy of Simon's instructions (I use his ignition in my 34A) and it states setting advance between 2mm and 4mm BTDC.

Dean Newton
            Seattle - USofA

Comment

Thanks Dean
              I took my flywheel off and unfortunately only one mark alignment so no knowing what I am BTDC . I would have thought that when it was fitted TDC would have been marked and then position BTDC . Any ideas ? If not I will try adjusting based around advancing from current and see whether it improves performance .
              Bike starts too eAisily at the moment without kick back so I reckon it needs more advance . Cheers Kim

Comment

Kim
                I can e-mail you the procedure for setting-up Simon's ignition.

Don't forget it is designed to retard the ignition at kick start speed and advances automatically when the revs rise. You can see this if you use a strobe.
                John A - 268

Comment

Thanks John

Have sent my email address in a PM
                  Cheers Kim

Comment

Kim

Reply sent.

Basically, all you need to do is align the 'mark' on the ignition unit with your chosen advance position (2-4mm BTDC). Once set, if you use a strobe you will see the ignition advance to your setting as you rev it. No more nasty kick-backs when trying to start!

John
                    John A - 268

Comment

Working...
                    X