24 MX-4 in USA ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 MX-4 in USA ??

Are there any 1968 24 MX-4 , 250cc Challengers in the USA, besides the one I have (24 MX-4C 166) ?
    I've never seen another one, Frank Conley once told me that he had never seen any. I believe this one came in thru the East coast distributor, Jeckel Industries (Glen Falls, New York).

24MX4 Replica

I have the 24MX4 Replica that Ken Sykes built about 7 years ago. It has a frame from a 36MX4 and an engine from a 24MX6. There are several pictures of it on Mark Hannah's "Greeves Scramblers AKA Desert Racers" website under Greeves Days 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by dvitaletti View Post
      Are there any 1968 24 MX-4 , 250cc Challengers in the USA, besides the one I have (24 MX-4C 166) ?
      I've never seen another one, Frank Conley once told me that he had never seen any. I believe this one came in thru the East coast distributor, Jeckel Industries (Glen Falls, New York).
      Hi Dan.

Nothing in the NNM files. It probably came through Randy Wilson. I have had an inquiry on an 24MX4 parts from the east coast and also received a photo of one up in Canada. I do have one copy of a Greeves parts manual.

Kenny

Comment

Hi,

I have a 24mx4c short stroke, it is unusual in that it was supplied to comerfords but has a made in England stamp on the headstock, the other 3 mx4s I have owned have not had this? I think it was supposed to be exported because of this made in England stamping.

I don't think the 24mx4 was officially exported, i don't think they made many, I was told less than 40 left the factory, but I would love to know for sure?

It feels so much lighter than the 360 version I have, but nowhere near as exciting

Scott151

Comment

According to my records, a mere 32 were delivered to the UK market. Perhaps if anyone could come up with frame numbers for any resident in the US, we would be able to see if they were in addition to those supplied for home use.

Comment

only 32!

Blimey only 32 thats rare......

I own no 176 which is later than the Dvitaletti 166 (Does yours have made in england on the headstock??, Dad owns 139, and sadly I have recently just sold no 129 (all in bits)

I cant work out how only 32 were made when 176-129 is 47?

But Dave Harper said that quite a few early mx4s left the factory with long stroke mx5 engines...

Do you know how many 360s were made Rob??

Regards

Scott151
            Last edited by scott151; 14/03/2014, 11:24 AM.

Comment

24 mx4c 166

Mine has the 'Made in England' stamp. The original owner was (is?) from Ripley, New York, I got this bike from his nephew, (E-bay, $870) The parts book I have for it has the 'Jeckel Industries' stamp on the cover.
              I assume numbers started with the typical 24MX4 - 101 ?
              Thanks for the responses, any and all history is valuable.
              Dan V

Comment

Scott - Your calculation assumes consecutive numbering but that is not the case as there are gaps. 121 360's delivered to the UK market.

Dan - the MX4 started at 109.

Regarding the records, regrettably we only have those for the home market. The scrapman had already taken the filing cabinet with the export records before the late and very sadly missed, Chris Goodfellow arrived at the then recently-closed factory. He was able to 're-allocate' what was left and to him we owe a great debt of gratitude. Chris was identifying and dating Greeves using these records long before the GRA was formed. In fact, it was Chris saying 'why don't you lot form a club' that helped make the GRA a reality.

So getting back to these gaps - why are they there? Could it be the 'missing' numbers are all export bikes or did the numbering department lose their way a few times (Friday afternoons!)?

Remember, the records are for the home market only, not necessarily total production.

Comment

Made in England

Hi Rob, thanks for the info, 121 360s for the uk market, was that for 67 and 68?

That explains why I had such a job actually buying one, everyone it went for had already been sold, I got mine off ebay aswell, it belonged to Richard Aris, it previously belonged to ian Elmer, it's lovely now and goes like a rocket compared to the 250 version.

Dan, it's interesting that your mx4 has the MIE on the headstock, I wouldn't mind betting greeves sold a few over to the USA unofficially

My dad's mx4 we know who all the owners have been, it started out as Monty banks own bike, dad brought it off of him when it was less than a year old, he part exchanged his mx1 with a bsa gearbox against it....

Regards

Scott

Comment

36mx4

hi scott i have a 360 and it was supplied to RAY BAKER in 1968 by spence in plymouth i found it out buy ray put his initials on the flywheels
                    rob blake had one aswell aparently they forgot the wheel spacers when rob blake went to fetch his bike and had to be rushed and a spacer fitted so rob could have his bike he said they had 10 bikes ready for collecvtion when he was there

gary

Comment

Mx4

I have an MX 4 but it has a strange engine and frame No,s, I asked dave Harper what He knew about it and He was,nt sure
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X