AjS Stormer Starmaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progress!

Nice one Dave, good to hear your latest news, and thanks for letting us know.

Brian T.

Comment

Exhaust was the best part of the ME! It was the lozenge type expansion chamber that was the quietest thing on the tracks at that time.

Comment

Marcelle, I didn't have one, but helped several guys with MDS models with Mayfield chambers. The first Starmaker that I saw was in Joe Johnson's Cotton and that suffered from overrev when a bracket broke and the throttles opened full. Just after an ME came to Brill (I think), and it was immediately noticeable that the noise level was quite a lot down on the MDSs.
        The same chamber was used on several Greeves and Starmaker Metisses that used to get to Tweseldown. I seem to remember Arthur Browning on one of these.

Comment

I have never owned a Greeves, although I rode a goodly number back in the 70s. I rode several different scramblers and also about 4 different trials bikes. I think the newest one I rode was an MX2. Unfortunately my riding on scramblers was limited to trips round a field. These days I am more likely to be taking pics of Greeves than riding them! But who knows when my lottery numbers may come up! I did a fair amount of Trail riding back then and the quickest thing I had was an OSSA 6-Days replica which we detuned a bit to ease the power delivery!!!!! I ran out of brave pills at about 80mph.

Comment

24ME and Stormer Starmaker Engine update

Had a good look at my box of bits and worked out what I needed to assemble it, got lots of help and advice from Nick Brown at AJS (who is son of the legendary Fluff Brown). They have lots of new "old stock" for the Stormer Stamaker engine.

Box of parts arrived from AJS, including a workshop manual, just the job as it has pics of all the subassemblies. Without this it would have been like building an IKEA flatpack without looking at the instructions ( but who does anyway?) the build has begun !

Will need to get ignition sorted - anyone used Electrex?.

Comment

Anyone used Electrex!!!!!

May be worth reading through this thread http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...light=Electrex

Comment

I have Electrex on my Anglian and it works fine. I also have it on my TZ Yamaha racing bike and it cured all the problems I had with a Femsa system. I have no problems, it appears well-made and was easy to fit on both bikes.

Comment

Electrex on order

Thanks Rob, have ordered Electrex with lighting coils from Villiers Services today. They had one in stock. All looks good.

Comment

ossa !!! fast

my father had a motessa and couldnt catch a ossa steletto they were well over 30bhp and fast ! the only thing they seem to have done to slow them down or diffrence between a trials one and a mx bike was a thicker spacer on the head a mx bike was 1mm the trials was 2mm up wards ! building the engine is tricky and you have to check if the conrod is running center ! though the inlet port

dad has a MAR now

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                    I have never owned a Greeves, although I rode a goodly number back in the 70s. I rode several different scramblers and also about 4 different trials bikes. I think the newest one I rode was an MX2. Unfortunately my riding on scramblers was limited to trips round a field. These days I am more likely to be taking pics of Greeves than riding them! But who knows when my lottery numbers may come up! I did a fair amount of Trail riding back then and the quickest thing I had was an OSSA 6-Days replica which we detuned a bit to ease the power delivery!!!!! I ran out of brave pills at about 80mph.

Comment

Off Topic - but worth knowing................

I struggled to find an electronic ignition for my Montesa Cappra 414VF. to replace the defunct Motoplat..............Electrex couldn't work it out - and I had an offer of a PVL from US at a ridiculous cost.(£400)......In the end I went to HPI - Horse Power Ignition in Belgium - who manufacture for Electrex......and for a cost of less than 200 Euros - manufactured a mounting plate and supplied a kit - which works well. If I need a kit on future for Greeves I would go HPI and save £ on a PVL

P.S Gary - if any Ossa is quicker than a Montesa Cappra VF414- I would like to try one !!

Comment

Mmmm...... I've got a quick Ossa. Phantom GP2. Motor built by Keith Lynas in the States. If you want to see just how fast these motors are check out Keiths videos of Scott Burnsworth riding his earlier '74 version on You Tube taking out far more modern crossers.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hpi

Hiya Kim,
                          Just been on HPI website because i need ignition for my griff and i can't see any listing for it.
                          Mick

Comment

Griffon kits

Hi Mick,
                            Like with the Montesa - if it is not listed (and I checked electrex adn same there) they would have to make a kit up...I had sent in a drawing of the shaft taper and mounting's.........
                            Drop me a pM and i can email Willy at HPI - (in the past and copy you in if interested. Worth checking if he has made one in the past.....
                            Other options - are PVL - not cheap but very good - I have them fitted to both my 250 and 380 QUB griffon's - Terry Sewell at TDS can source a kit ready to fit - or I believe Simon at NAmetab also has a kit
                            Cheers Kim

Comment

Starmaker/ griffon electrics

At Telford Electric worlds top man, said that they will be making an electronic kit for the late Griffons soon if they feel there is enough call for them.

Comment

Starmaker Greeves

If you get stuck for an exhaust system for the ME I have one, but not sure if it came of an ME or Sprite. It is complete with front pipe but goes under the engine.
                                In respect to your Electrix ignition. When you assemble the starmaker you shim the crank from the ignition side. Which changes the position of the stator. The early electonics use to touch. Make sure you have enough clearance.

HPI electonics sound good. Will have to give Kim a bell.

Terry Sewell TDS Offroad

Comment

Working...
                                X