Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a '72 380 motor fit into a '73 250 frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a '72 380 motor fit into a '73 250 frame?

considering buying a '72 380 Griffon motor to fit to my 73 250 desert griffon frame. Anyone know if it will fit the frame?

Thanks
    Jeff

Motor change

The 2 small engine plates at the front will need to be changed for 380 ones. Are you using a QUB or twin port engine?

Druid

Comment

Thanks Druid, I was shopping for an extra motor for my 250 and was lucky enough yesterday to find a dual port 380 griffon motor (GPE6/166) bored to QUB specs, allegedly 48 hp. Also a complete single port QUB 380 motor with trans (GP32/280, trans GB2255), 44 hp. Much to my wife's chagrin, I also came home with another greeves, a 72 380 desert griffon (GPE 4/106, trans GBA 1644) in good shape with a mostly unused headlamp, tail lamp and speedo, and with parts list and other publications. All purchased from the original owner, in the california desert outside of LA.

Photos here

I'm considering moving the extra dual ported motor into the 250, as the 250's cylinder requires a rebore anyway.

Jefe

My 250 is rough and photos are here
      The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
        Thanks Druid, I was shopping for an extra motor for my 250 and was lucky enough yesterday to find a dual port 380 griffon motor (GPE6/166) bored to QUB specs, allegedly 48 hp. Also a complete single port QUB 380 motor with trans (GP32/280, trans GB2255), 44 hp. Much to my wife's chagrin, I also came home with another greeves, a 72 380 desert griffon (GPE 4/106, trans GBA 1644) in good shape with a mostly unused headlamp, tail lamp and speedo, and with parts list and other publications. All purchased from the original owner, in the california desert outside of LA.

Photos here

I'm considering moving the extra dual ported motor into the 250, as the 250's cylinder requires a rebore anyway.

Jefe

My 250 is rough and photos are here
        http://flic.kr/s/aHsjM2Sto3
        Hi Jeff,

This is a Griffon Enduro. I'd put it back to stock with lights...not too many around.

Kenny Sykes
        USA

Comment

Originally posted by Bearingman View Post
          Hi Jeff,

This is a Griffon Enduro. I'd put it back to stock with lights...not too many around.

Kenny Sykes
          USA
          Hi Kenny, The original owner swore it was a desert griffon, purchased from Nick along with the two extra engines, one bored out by Nick to "QUB spec."

When he produced and handed over the headlamp, tail light, and speedo I was surprised and thought that they might be accessories available for the griffon, I know that my 250 griffon has no power taps for lights. I also noted the difference in the side covers, with no round number plate. This bike has ceriani-like "675 teleforks" by Metal Profiles Limited -- appears to be original to the bike. I would expect the gearbox ratios to be different than the desert griffon, and I would expect to see power taps (haven't checked yet) and a speedo drive (found it at the rear wheel). Any other differences - frame, exhaust, etc?

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
            Hi Kenny, The original owner swore it was a desert griffon, purchased from Nick along with the two extra engines, one bored out by Nick to "QUB spec."

When he produced and handed over the headlamp, tail light, and speedo I was surprised and thought that they might be accessories available for the griffon, I know that my 250 griffon has no power taps for lights. I also noted the difference in the side covers, with no round number plate. This bike has ceriani-like "675 teleforks" by Metal Profiles Limited -- appears to be original to the bike. I would expect the gearbox ratios to be different than the desert griffon, and I would expect to see power taps (haven't checked yet) and a speedo drive (found it at the rear wheel). Any other differences - frame, exhaust, etc?

Jeff

HI Jeff,

Your frame number is Enduro. MP were standard on all 380 Enduro's that I have come across. Early 250 versions had Ceriani which may have come through Jeckel Industries who were by then the east coast Greeves agent.

I do believe the Enduro had different ratios than the desert. The Enduro was geared to do near 90 mph. It has a very tall fourth gear. I know the books I have in Nick's archives show different ratios...something I need to research more on. Once we get the gear inventory over my way I'll know more.

Kenny Sykes

Comment

Working...
            X