Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• griffon 250 restoration

Hiya all,
    Just thought you might be interested on how my bike is getting on. Well, i am now at a rolling chassis stage but still no handle bars. I have modified the footpegs and all bushes and bearings replaced. Seat is being re-sponged and covered at this moment. I was lucky with the seat base as there was no rust so just needed a light blast and coating. New rims,spokes and tyres. Santa came early and yesterday delivered my engine(nice one nametab).Next step is gearbox. Hopefully i will be able to do this myself but will need exploded view of this. Can anybody tell me if it's a close or wide ratio box by the number GB2 1031?. At the moment i'm still waiting for shock absorbers so have put the old ones back on just so i can move it around(god they're rusty). All nuts and bolts(fixings) up to this stage have been replaced with stainless(discount stainless). Still need tank,side panels, levers and sundry items. Must say so far it's been fun(and a little costly)but you only live once. Will post some piccies as soon as i have sussed out how. Many thaks. Mick.

Rebuild update etc.

Hi Mick,

Thanks for posting your update and I'm pleased to hear that things are progressing well, and looking forward to seeing the results of all your hard work.

As far as an exploded drawing of your gearbox is concerned, I have various examples, but as I've said before I'm not in any way 'up' on the Griffon models. As such, if you can tell me which type of gearbox you have it would be a pleasure to look through my files and find something to scan for you, as long as I have it (likely.) Get back to me and I'll see what I can do.

Re posting pictures on here, I have posted info on how to do this several times already (as have others), and a search should bring up some info for you. But if it will save you a bit of time, try this;

When you have finished typing a post, have a look at the 'toolbar' at the top of the dialogue box (just above where you type your text) and right in the middle (to the right of the 'smiley face symbol) you'll see a paperclip icon. Click that, and another dialogue box will open allowing you to handle your attachments.

Click 'browse' and that will open up another dialogue box, this time on your computer. Locate the pic you want to attach in it's location on your computer (maybe it's in 'pictures', for example) then once you have found it, just click 'open', then 'upload'. It may take a few moments, especially if it's a large file and the forum software needs to resize it, but once it's done it will appear as part of a list on the left of the dialogue box, so you can keep track of what you're attaching to your post.

You can upload up to five pics per post, and they will appear in the order they were attached, top to bottom in the list in the dialogue box, and left to right in your post. Note that to the right of the list there is also a tab that also you to 'remove' an individual attachment before posting as well. Once your all done uploading your pics, simply 'close' the dialogue box, then hit 'submit' and it should all be there. Don't be surprised if the forum logs you out at this point though, and you have to sign back in to complete the process...it seems to do that a lot these days!

Anyway Mick, hope that helps, and give us a shout it you need any more clarification. It's a lot easier to do than it sounds when written down, especially if it's me doing the writing....

All the best, and look forward to seeing those pics!

Brian.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 27/11/2013, 12:46 PM. Reason: Editing.

Comment

Griffon Gearbox

The GB2 box is probably wide ratio, at least that was what was originally fitted into those cases - no guarantees now though. It was usually fitted with a 15T gearbox sprocket and meant for the US market. Was the bike repatriated from the US?

The only way to be sure is to open it up and check the gears.

If it is wide then you'll probably need to change to a close cluster for a 250 Griffon. You could probably get away with it on a 380. If the gears are worn out then you'll need to change them anyway.

There was a breakdown of the Griffon box in the "motocycle trader" paper years ago which was quite helpful.

If the box needs work and you don't feel up to it then contact Geoff Nunn who's probably rebuilt the boxes on 60% of the Greeves championship runners.

Druid

Comment

Wisdom.

Thanks John, as always.

Comment

Griffon gearbox

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
          Hi Mick,

Thanks for posting your update and I'm pleased to hear that things are progressing well, and looking forward to seeing the results of all your hard work.

As far as an exploded drawing of your gearbox is concerned, I have various examples, but as I've said before I'm not in any way 'up' on the Griffon models. As such, if you can tell me which type of gearbox you have it would be a pleasure to look through my files and find something to scan for you, as long as I have it (likely.) Get back to me and I'll see what I can do.

Re posting pictures on here, I have posted info on how to do this several times already (as have others), and a search should bring up some info for you. But if it will save you a bit of time, try this;

When you have finished typing a post, have a look at the 'toolbar' at the top of the dialogue box (just above where you type your text) and right in the middle (to the right of the 'smiley face symbol) you'll see a paperclip icon. Click that, and another dialogue box will open allowing you to handle your attachments.

Click 'browse' and that will open up another dialogue box, this time on your computer. Locate the pic you want to attach in it's location on your computer (maybe it's in 'pictures', for example) then once you have found it, just click 'open', then 'upload'. It may take a few moments, especially if it's a large file and the forum software needs to resize it, but once it's done it will appear as part of a list on the left of the dialogue box, so you can keep track of what you're attaching to your post.

You can upload up to five pics per post, and they will appear in the order they were attached, top to bottom in the list in the dialogue box, and left to right in your post. Note that to the right of the list there is also a tab that also you to 'remove' an individual attachment before posting as well. Once your all done uploading your pics, simply 'close' the dialogue box, then hit 'submit' and it should all be there. Don't be surprised if the forum logs you out at this point though, and you have to sign back in to complete the process...it seems to do that a lot these days!

Anyway Mick, hope that helps, and give us a shout it you need any more clarification. It's a lot easier to do than it sounds when written down, especially if it's me doing the writing....

All the best, and look forward to seeing those pics!

Brian.
          Hiya Brian
          Not sure what the different gearboxes are. Mine has a cream coloured plastic blanking plug above the kick start spindle. The bike has been repatriated from the states as it came with 19in WM2 front wheel and three gallon tank which looks like it's been made with papier mache(unfortunately).

Comment

griffon gearbox

Originally posted by druid View Post
            The GB2 box is probably wide ratio, at least that was what was originally fitted into those cases - no guarantees now though. It was usually fitted with a 15T gearbox sprocket and meant for the US market. Was the bike repatriated from the US?

The only way to be sure is to open it up and check the gears.

If it is wide then you'll probably need to change to a close cluster for a 250 Griffon. You could probably get away with it on a 380. If the gears are worn out then you'll need to change them anyway.

There was a breakdown of the Griffon box in the "motocycle trader" paper years ago which was quite helpful.

If the box needs work and you don't feel up to it then contact Geoff Nunn who's probably rebuilt the boxes on 60% of the Greeves championship runners.

Druid
            Cheers Druid
            Gonna have a crack at gearbox myself but if unable to i will certainly get in touch with Geoff. Many thanks.

Comment

Gearbox drawing.

Hi Mick,

I'll have a dig and see what I can find for you.

Brian.

Comment

Cam Plate Gearbox Diagrams etc.

Hi Mick,

My pleasure, and I'm pleased the info I emailed was what you were after.

Kind regards,

Brian.

Comment

Working...
                X