Scrambling in the 60's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrambling in the 60's

Although some parts of this film have been shown before, I have not seen it all in one piece.
    Some interesting shots from the Greeves works, Wakes Colne and Hawkstone Park. Why is it that TV and Film folk can never get the soundtrack right!
    Look at Life View of 1960's Scrambling, some great shots of bikes and cars, a great period film .Look at Life. Defiantly worth buying ! Available from Networ...
    John A - 268

Ditto the remark about the soundtrack! I remember along time ago, as an apprentice GPO Telephones apprentice, being in a TV production office while 2 guys were discussing exactly this point, and how they get complaints when a 2 stroke noise is dubbed over a 4 stroke, or vice-versa. I joined in the debate with the info, new to them, that the true aficionado can tell the difference between 2, 3 or 4 cylinder steam locomotives. We won't mention the Triumph used in the Great Escape........

Comment

This is a real gem - I wondered where they stole that footage from for that music video.
      This is much better quality than previously seen, so good that Dave Smith's lovely posters can be clearly seen!

Comment

Greeves Staff in Film

As an aside to the film , I've made a list of those on screen in the Greeves bit .

It starts with loading the bikes on the Thames Trader , this part of the factory faces Church Road .

Those pushing the bikes up the ramp are , Len warren ( motorcycle assembly ), John Milward ( Service Manager ) , waiting at the bottom of the ramp are Don ? ( maintenance Manager) & Norman ? the driver .

Next part is the machine shop , Jock Boals on the left maching barrels , guy at the center back is not known , right looking at the barrels is Charlie Higgs ( Works Foreman ) & also on the right removng a trolley of barrels is Jeff ? ( Inspec. Dept. ).

Then comes a quick view of Motorcycle Assembly , Colin Wharnsby & Len Warren building bikes .

Into the Comp Shop , Bill Brooker ( Comp. Manager ) on the left , OBG centre & John L Ralling ( Works , Designer , Engineer , Manager ) on the left .

Over to Wakes Colne where most of our testing was done - riders are Bryan Wade , John Pease & Arthur Browning with Bill Brooker watching them from the side .

The two guys standing together are , Left Bob Mills ( Development Shop Manager ) & right , John L Ralling .

Then a quick shot of DPC in the Ford Zodiac .

Southend Arport , waiting for DPC is his secretary , Linda Lightbown & his Brother ( Tony )P.A.Cobb ( works buyer ) . By the plane is DPC's brother again and his " legs " Peter Vine , first greeves Works Rider and Transport Manager .

You will notice how DPC is loaded on to the plane , this was par for the course .

Hope you like this little walk through Greeves history .

I was at Wakes Colne , but anybody not a manager was removed from the film . That is why there are so many bods pushing bikes that wouldn't give them a second look .

Chris

Comment

In my researches I feel I have come to know many of them - just a little bit.

It feels quite strange to see them in movement - especially as so many of them are no longer with us.

The way they looked after Derry is quite remarkable, Peter Vine must have been a nice guy to do all he did.
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

I've heard all sorts of stories about DPC's Invacar, but it definitely doesn't look standard!

I wonder what how well it went.

Comment

Legend has it that DPC was warned several times for speeding on the Arterial Road, is there any truth in this?

Comment

DPC was warned several times for speeding .

His car was a " New Era " , one of the first . The back went down and acted as a ramp to push his wheelchair up . The chair was then locked in place and the back put up .

You may read all over the place about his scramble motor on the side , it was in fact a Villiers Siba Dynastart motor with a challenger barrel on the top and a special silencer / expansion chamber . All quite clear in the film outside the airport .

There were two exhausts made , one for DPC and one on the OBG road bike that is now in the Isle of Man . the OBG one vanished along with the the original bits on the bike .

Chris

Comment

Working...
                X