Stefa magneto voltage query.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stefa magneto voltage query.

Hi, Does anyone know what voltage the Stefa mag system on Challenger/Griffon motors is? Is it a 6 or 12 volt system?

You would think I would know that having played around with them for many years. It's only recently while working on a motor I have had the need to clarify this.

Thanks,
    David.

Stefa mag voltage

Being purely a magneto not a generator (ie no low voltage for lights or battery charging) it would not have a low (6v or 12v) output, voltage at spark plug would be several thousand volts.

Comment

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate that after the coil tranforms the leccy that it is indeed a high voltage.

I should have made the question clearer. It was the magneto output voltage before it gets to the coil that I was after.

David.

Comment

Steffa Magneto

When checking Steffa electrics I've used a 12 volt battery in place of the LT side and it gives a good spark at the HT end, so I reckon 12 volt would be OK. As JW says, unless you're using the LT side to drive lamps or similar, the actual LT voltage generated is irrelevant as long as it produces a spark at the business end.

Druid

Comment

steffa meg

I had been told if rewound 400 wind plus extra layer it produces a better spark with swg22gauge wire

gary gwillam

Comment

Working...
          X