griffon ignition.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• griffon ignition.

Has anybody got a copy or knowledge of the ignition set up for s/batemans electronic ignition, i am after the basic installation set up, timing marks etc, any info gratefully received. dave.

Higgo - sorry - only have Nametab's on the MDS - not the Griffons - they have PVL......... on the PVL's i set to 4mmBTDC as per the Motoplat

Comment

Dave

I assume you have the small Stefa ignition on your Griffon, but if not I would guess that the same principles apply to similar systems.

There should be a line scribed on the periphery of the Nametab unit which replaces the points. This line is the point at which the unit fires.

You need to fit the flywheel and find top dead centre, mark a line on the flywheel and the Greeves back plate at about 12 o’clock. Turn the engine backwards by 3.5 to 4mm before tdc and mark another line on the back plate and flywheel.

To time the ignition you need to remove the flywheel and fit the cd unit. You should be able to align the mark on the unit with the tdc mark and move it to the advanced mark on the Greeves backplate.

If the unit will not align using existing fixing points you may have to drill and tap two holes in the backplate in a more suitable position.

There are two wires from the unit to the HT coil, they usually have a large and a small spade connector. I cannot remember which colour goes to what terminal? Simon advises reversing the connections if the bike refuses to fire or kicks back badly (painfully!)

When you refit the flywheel you will be able to strobe the ignition. It should fire up retarded but you should see the advance mark on the flywheel move forward to align with the tdc mark on the backplate as you increase the revs.

Simon provides an instruction sheet describing the procedure but I cannot find my copy so the above is from memory!

I hope this helps.
      John A - 268

Comment

Thanks john-boy, i spoke to s/b this afternoon & he says that there is a mark on the flywheel, & a mark on the stator plate & at 5mm btdc, these should line up, which is exactly as you said, but with a difference in mm.
        Why i asked was because i could not find any corrosponding marks on the stator, to tie up with the crank. again, many thanks, see you next w`end at the dorset scramble hopefully. dave.

Comment

Hi Dave

I hope you get the ignition sorted without too much trouble.

I shall be riding at Marks Tey this coming Sunday, I believe the Dorset Scramble is the following weekend, 2 June. I have not entered for Dorset but I shall probably spectate as it is not far from home. Hope to see you there.

John
          John A - 268

Comment

Working...
          X