griffon restoration,frame queries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• griffon restoration,frame queries

On close inspection of the frame i noticed the top two tubes which the seat sits on arn't welded(brazed) at the same distance down the frame backbone, also the top rear shock mounts are offset. looking down on the frame at the back the left mount is to the left of the seat tube and the right mount is as well. On looking at the swing arm the bottom mounts are the same. The front engine mount is offset to the left as well. Is this normal.
    Mick

Originally posted by brokabolt View Post
    On close inspection of the frame i noticed the top two tubes which the seat sits on arn't welded(brazed) at the same distance down the frame backbone, also the top rear shock mounts are offset. looking down on the frame at the back the left mount is to the left of the seat tube and the right mount is as well. On looking at the swing arm the bottom mounts are the same. The front engine mount is offset to the left as well. Is this normal.
    Mick
    Hi Mick,

The reason for the tubing to be offset was done for a good reason...it allowed less heat to the mated tubing from the torch...too much heat weakens the joint being welded. Bronze welding is an art form and Greeves welders really did a wonderful job. When you have your frame blasted, admire the work they did brazing the tubes together.

No worries it was done this way on purpose.

Ken Sykes
    USA

Comment

Originally posted by Bearingman View Post
      Hi Mick,

The reason for the tubing to be offset was done for a good reason...it allowed less heat to the mated tubing from the torch...too much heat weakens the joint being welded. Bronze welding is an art form and Greeves welders really did a wonderful job. When you have your frame blasted, admire the work they did brazing the tubes together.

Ken Sykes
      USA
      Thanks Ken, thats put my mind at rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearingman View Post
        Hi Mick,

Ken Sykes
        USA
        Hi Ken.
        The rear shock mounts on my griffon are also offset. When looking down on the frame from the back the mounts arn't central to the seat mounting tube, they're to the left. same with the swing arm mounts. Is this normal. Cheers Mick

Comment

Working...
        X