griffon restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• griffon restoration

Please could someone tell me where i can get head stock bearings for a 1969 griffon 250. Frame no.56B/423. It has banana forks. I bought the bike a couple of weeks ago and think it has lived in the states. The bike is almost complete. I also need right hand side panel,a/f inlet rubber. Should the exhaust have a resonator on the tail-pipe. It looks like someone in the past has removed it and welded a piece of pipe to it. I have stripped it down ready for powder coating and would also like to know what the original frame colour was. the air box and tank are blue and the nearside panel is metallic blue.
    Many thanks. Mick

Mick ,

The bearings are obtainable form any bearing supplier , the taper bearing is Timken 01700SA , the taper cup is 07210X , they are the inner wheel bearings for Ford anglia , Cortina etc.

The frame was painted silver .

Chris

Comment

Chris
      I think you mean 07100SA here is a stockist for them http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p40...duct_info.html

Comment

Originally posted by riflegreen View Post
        Mick ,

The bearings are obtainable form any bearing supplier , the taper bearing is Timken 01700SA , the taper cup is 07210X , they are the inner wheel bearings for Ford anglia , Cortina etc.

The frame was painted silver .

Chris
        Hi Chris,

Looks to be another Nicholson spec Desert Griffon made it back over your way...56B would be banana front fork with a wide ratio gearbox and 3 gallon tank...more than likely with 19 inch front rim. Nick sold quite a few.

Kenny

Comment

Originally posted by brokabolt View Post
          Please could someone tell me where i can get head stock bearings for a 1969 griffon 250. Frame no.56B/423. It has banana forks. I bought the bike a couple of weeks ago and think it has lived in the states. The bike is almost complete. I also need right hand side panel,a/f inlet rubber. Should the exhaust have a resonator on the tail-pipe. It looks like someone in the past has removed it and welded a piece of pipe to it. I have stripped it down ready for powder coating and would also like to know what the original frame colour was. the air box and tank are blue and the nearside panel is metallic blue.
          Many thanks. Mick
          Hi Mick...Yes Stateside Desert Griffon. First came in the states without a silencer, as the laws changed we had to add a silencer. Most Griffon stinger mounts would break at the weld, or get bent inward from a fall. The 250 Griffon is very picky on silencers. We would have to use a spark arrestor to ride on state land and it would strangle the engine way too much.

You won't find an NOS rubber boot as most rotted...even new ones sitting on the shelves for many years would crack. If you do a search on "Griffon air boxes" I posted a pick of an rubber coupler that I use and works well. By chance does it have a Shell Motors decal on the steering head?

Post a pic if you can!

Good luck with your project!

Kenny Sykes
          USA

Comment

griffon restoration

Hiya Kenny.
            Not sure if it has 19 or 21 inch front wheel,havn't really looked as i was keen to strip it down to check the frame for cracks etc. The wheels are dunlop rims which are in exceptional condition(if original). It doesn't have a shell motors decal on the headstock. Why do you ask?.
            Mick

Comment

griffon restoration

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
              Chris
              I think you mean 07100SA here is a stockist for them http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p40...duct_info.html
              Thanks John.
              Remember them well with fond memories. We have a bearing supplier in lewes and hove. I will give them a try first.
              Mick

Comment

griffon restoration/headstock bearing removal

Thought this might be of interest. Removing the headstock bearings is so simple. It took a mate and myself 15 mins max to remove both races. First remove the cage and rollers, the cages are quite flimsy and can be removed with a screwdriver. Then weld a washer just slightly smaller than the inner race on top of the inner race. We then welded a nut on to the washer which had the same thread as the slide hammer. Top yoke in vice(one man job), forks on ground, with me holding and mate doing the hammer(two man job). Job done.
                Mick

Comment

Sounds a bit less destructive than drilling a couple of holes in the fork yokes so that you can punch them out. Provided you've got a welder and a slide hammer...
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hiya Kenny.
                    The wheels are dunlop rims which are in exceptional condition(if original). Mick
                    The rims should be high tensile. If they're chromed then they're not original.
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

griffon wheels

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                      Hiya colin
                      They're definitely chromed. 19 inch front,18 inch rear. What finish would high tensile rims have. Cheers.
                      Mick

Comment

Hiya Kenny.
                        Not sure if it has 19 or 21 inch front wheel,havn't really looked as i was keen to strip it down to check the frame for cracks etc. The wheels are dunlop rims which are in exceptional condition(if original). It doesn't have a shell motors decal on the headstock. Why do you ask?.
                        Mick
                        Shell Motors in Southern California sold many Griffons. I saw a Desert Griffon on EBAY UK at one time with the Shell badge...thought maybe it was the same one.

Regards,
                        Kenny

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                          Hi Colin.

Many USA spec Greeves Griffons came over here with chrome Dunlop and Jones rims ...might be because so many came over here with 19 inch front rims...I've never come across a 19 inch in high tensile...maybe Chris can help us on this one.

I wish more had came over here with the HT rims!

Kenny

Comment

Hiya colin
                            They're definitely chromed. 19 inch front,18 inch rear. What finish would high tensile rims have. Cheers.
                            Mick
                            Painted silver...a very light rim that is light as an alloy rim...or very close to it.

Kenny

Comment

Originally posted by Bearingman View Post
                              Hi Colin.

Many USA spec Greeves Griffons came over here with chrome Dunlop and Jones rims ...might be because so many came over here with 19 inch front rims...I've never come across a 19 inch in high tensile...maybe Chris can help us on this one.

Kenny
                              I'm learning all the time!
                              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                              X