Cheney Greeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheney Greeves

Here is one for the scrambles lads to chew over. In the March edition of OBM
    there is an article on a one off Cheney framed Challenger built apparently with help from the Greeves comp shop. I have copied the article below for those who dont take OBM (or should that be OFM (Old Farts Mart) looking at the advanced ages of some of those attending the 33rd Carol Nash Bristol Classic Motorcycle Show.
    Hardly a young face there and one old racer (Lew Coffin) is on a zimmer frame.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 28/02/2013, 05:34 PM.

cheney scrambler

Hi John,
    Have not got the OBM yet, but quite a lot of cheney framed challengers and griffons were made I believe

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
      Here is one for the scrambles lads to chew over. In the March edition of OBM
      there is an article on a one off Cheney framed Challenger built apparently with help from the Greeves comp shop. I have copied the article below for those who dont take OBM (or should that be OFM (Old Farts Mart) looking at the advanced ages of some of those attending the 33rd Carol Nash Bristol Classic Motorcycle Show.
      Hardly a young face there and one old racer (Lew Coffin) is on a zimmer frame.
      The owner of the Cheney Greeves is asking for help tracing its history. I will try when I get a moment or two, but I'm sure he'd like to hear from anyone who can add anything.

The OBM piece says that Lew Coffin stepped in at the last moment when Sammy Miller left early. It also says he was on a Zimmer because he is recovering from a broken hip. Seemed cheerful enough though!
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Cheney Greeves

I recall the original piece appearing in Motor Cycle. Eric Cheney produced quite a few very similar bikes the frames of which were to a standard design. The engine mounts were custom made to suit a particular engine. From memory, he produced Suzuki, Husqvarna, and Villiers Starmaker versions. Some had the dummy tank, with the actual tank behind the side panels alongside the airbox. Others had a real tank.

Does Riflegreen have any thoughts or memories. Over to you Chris......

Comment

The Cheney/Greeves was never in the Greeves Comp Shop , strictly a Cheney machine only , he may have got the engine at a special rate .

Chris
          Last edited by riflegreen; 01/03/2013, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Cheney Greeves

It does say in the article
            "In 1966 Eric Cheney worked with some members of staff at the Greeves factory to produce a lightweight scrambles model"

and also

"Eventually the bike was sold to Mike Jackson who developed it for a season before passing it back to Eric Cheney"

So as Chris said it possibly never actually went to the Greeves factory.
            So it looks like the person to contact for details would be Mike Jackson.

If anyone has any info on the bike they can contact current owner Stuart Wigmore via the forum he is 'doreenson' http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/forums/member.php?u=30 and a GRA member
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 01/03/2013, 04:03 PM.

Comment

In the darkest recesses of one of my sheds lurks the remains of a Cheney Challenger. I'm sure Andrew K looked up my engine number and it came from a bike as opposed to a 'bought' engine. I think the kits were sold as an upgrade.

My frame certainly looks as though it was purpose-built for a Challenger. Judging by the amount of welded repairs on the exhaust, it looks as though either vibration or the rigid mounting of the exhaust (or both) could have been an issue.

Comment

There is photographic evidence that Greeves were quite interested. There are half a dozen photos of the bike by Rimmer who did all Greeves' official photography in the GRA archive.

One of them (attached) shows the bike with John Ralling and Derry Preston Cobb, with (possibly) Eric Cheney in the foreground. It looks as if they may have visited him, it doesn't look like a factory location.
                Attached Files
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Cheney Greeves Picture

Picture from the internet.....
                  Attached Files

Comment

Cheyney

Regarding the exhaust Rob I was told by a well known kart tuner that if the exhaust was just right and resonating correctly then they cracked all the time. He also said if you made it thicker to stop the cracking then it didn't perform as well. So he just kept repairing the existing expansion box...Hows that for a nugget of info?...John P.

Comment

Well done John, looks like I'll have to cart my portapak to meetings then!

PS - in Colin's pic is that Derry's personal barrel of ale at his side? No wonder he looks happy!

Comment

Colin ,

I think the guy in the photo with his back to the camera is Roy Halls . Also I think the pic was taken in DPC's back garden , the bike is real mix , Challenger motor and what looks like a BSA gearbox .

Chris

Comment

Photo Caption Comp ????

whitehillbillies

Comment

Working...
                          X