Griffon fuel cap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffon fuel cap.

Hi all, gotta get my griffon fuel filler cap off, but it looks like its bonded, can anyone confirm this?.
    I can get round this, but it would make life a bit easier, if it was threaded & removeable. dave.

Araldited on , only brute force will remove it .

Chris

Comment

Umhh!!, thanks chris.

Comment

Griffon cap

Dave,
        Is it a GRP or Ally Griffon tank?
        Are you trying to save the cap or the tank or both?
        If it's GRP and you want to save the cap we used to break up the tank and then use Oxy acetylene to burn off the resin. If you want to save the tank you'll probably need to slit the mounting boss and spread it to clear the tank.
        If you want to save both why are you taking it off?

Druid

Comment

To respray it!, whoever bonded it, pushed it right down onto the surface, i can get round that, but, do you know what colour or ral number, the red was?
          The tank was metalflake, now its going back to base red, dave.

Comment

Hope it will continue to hold "petrol" after all your efforts. Don't forget about the dreaded ethanol...
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Fortunately colin, the good lord blessed me in two ways, the first being an ethanol resistant fuel tight tank, & the secound!, the ability to exaggerate things...

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
                To respray it!, whoever bonded it, pushed it right down onto the surface, i can get round that, but, do you know what colour or ral number, the red was?
                The tank was metalflake, now its going back to base red, dave.
                Hi Dave.

I've done a couple-three tanks for restorations, and it's no easy task. I carefully chipped out the resin inside and then removed the filler cap, but sometimes I also removed part of the fiberglass lip of the tank as well...then I had to re-glass the lip. To put the cap back on after the tank has been painted takes time and careful sealing. You can do what I do, but I can't guarantee a perfect outcome...I first wax around the the bottom of the lip of the tank...this will help remove any resin that might leak out. Install the cap making it straight and level. I then take a toilet paper roll cardboard center and cut it to fit tight inside the cap and allow it to rest on the hump of the inner tank. I mask the outside of the tank around the filler and then use plumber's putty to seal the inside between the card board roll and the inside of the filler cap mount. Also use the putty on the outside around the bottom of the cap. Mix your resin and carefully fill the void between the roll and the filler... go slow, let the resin set up a bit, but not too much as it needs to still flow well enough to pour. Also watch out for getting any resin in the pivot pin of the cap...not good! This happened to me too.

Trust me, its a bitch to do! My first time I had the cap straight, but not level.

I hear some of the guys use bondo on their Rickman tanks as well to hold the cap on.

Here's a pic of one I did a couple years back.

I hope this all made sense. Good luck!

Cheers!
                Kenny
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the info kenny, i thought i had a crack on the top of the tank, so before going any farther, i thought to put some petrol in & rest it upside down for a while.
                  Not having any petrol, i used methanol, no leaks after ten mins, brilliant, so after reading your reply today, i went out to have another look,but the methanol, has only gone & dissolved the araldite away. the cap come off in my hand, no other damage what so ever to tank interior, cap, or paint work.
                  Definately a result there then, i have some pics of the softened araldite & tank, but don`t know how to upload, the pics from my own files, without an http number. help!

Comment

Cap

Hi Dave

You jammy sod, with luck like that you should by a lotto ticket

Just out of interest roger Ennis can supply griffon tanks in various colours, reasonable money too

Scott 151

Comment

Originally posted by scott151 View Post
                      Hi Dave

You jammy sod, with luck like that you should by a lotto ticket

Just out of interest roger Ennis can supply griffon tanks in various colours, reasonable money too

Scott 151
                      Hi Scott & Dave,

I agree! Nice tanks. Druid had a nice one made up for me for the prototype project which is on the back burner for now. Very nice work and made to my specs. Very happy with it!

Kenny

Comment

don`t know how to upload, the pics from my own files, without an http number. help!
                        I suspect the drill is on here somewhere if you search for it (Brian T would know), however it's dead simple (bit like me really...), so:

First you need to reduce the picture file size. This you do on your own computer. I suggest a resolution of 200 dpi and a picture size of about 15cm x 10 cm or thereabouts. Save that as a new file.

Back on the Forum:

Hit "reply" on the thread you want the picture to appear on and write your covering post.

Before you submit it, scroll down to "Manage Attachments". Hit it.

A new window will appear. Hit "Browse"

In the space to the left of Browse you will be able to search your computer files and when you find the right one hit "upload".

The picture will then upload to your post.

Close the new window, check your post and submit.

Hope that helps...
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Thanks colin, its easy, when explained, i`ll try it out later, regards, dave.

Comment

Stink Bombs!

Thanks for the info kenny, i thought i had a crack on the top of the tank, so before going any farther, i thought to put some petrol in & rest it upside down for a while.
                            Not having any petrol, i used methanol, no leaks after ten mins, brilliant, so after reading your reply today, i went out to have another look,but the methanol, has only gone & dissolved the araldite away. the cap come off in my hand, no other damage what so ever to tank interior, cap, or paint work.
                            Definately a result there then, i have some pics of the softened araldite & tank, but don`t know how to upload, the pics from my own files, without an http number. help!
                            Hi Dave,

I see you've been playing with your chemistry set again....!

I was going to answer your query on uploading attachments with a step by step guide (with pics), but Colin has done such a good job of explaining it already. I'll just add a couple of extra points that may be handy to know.

1.) The 'manage attachments' dialogue box can also be accessed via the 'paperclip' icon on the toolbar on the 'reply to post' page (see pic 1 below) as well as by clicking the 'manage attachments' button at the bottom of the page (scroll down to see it) as Colin mentioned.

2.) The 'manage attachments' dialogue box (see pic 2 below) will show each attachment (up to a maximum of five per post) in list form as they are attached. To the right of each one is a 'remove' button so they can be deleted individually if an image is uploaded in error. Also, pics upload in order from left to right (i.e. 1-5), which can be handy if you want to show a sequence. Note that the 'manage attachments' dialogue box also gives a table showing the size of files that the forum will accept. For j.pegs (i.e. digital pics) 97kb is shown, but there is a bit of leaway if it's slightly bigger.

3.) Having 'browsed' and found the pic you want to attach from your files, click on the image and then hit 'open', then 'upload'. If it doesn't upload, chances are the image needs resizing as Colin says. Don't forget you can also set your camera to take smaller size images (not too small though!) if it's a specific shot you're taking to upload on here. Either way, if you do need to resize, I tend to copy the pic (to preserve the original) and then resize the copy. I also give it a 'name'/caption at this point to make it easier to find again when 'browsing' my files.

4.) The attached pics won't 'appear' until the finished post is 'submitted', so don't worry if you don't see them after clicking 'upload'-you will see the name of the file attached instead. Incidently, even the right size pics sometimes take a few moments to upload so be prepared to wait a few seconds for it to do it's thing.

Hope this helps mate, and happy uploading. Looking forward to seeing a pic of the 'methanol still' that I KNOW you have in your shed!!!

Brian.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 27/07/2012, 07:22 AM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                              Hi Dave,

.....Looking forward to seeing a pic of the 'methanol still' that I KNOW you have in your shed!!!

Brian.

Hi Brian,

I hope you meant an ethanol still, not methanol!

Human consumption of methanol results in blindness, followed fairly rapidly by death!

Ethanol consumption on the other hand, causes liver damage, but at least it doesn't kill you immediately

Cheers,
                              Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X