Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceriani 35mm fork seals

Hi all,
    I'm servicing my Ceriani 35mm forks. I have the seals and a drawing off web but it does not show the correct way to put the seals in. Mine (fitted by someone else) were facing the same way. They also had an extra seal above the circlip ( I pressume as a dust seal) . Can anyone enlighten me. Also is there a dust seal available (I have ordered the boots - but not a dust seal).
    Reading up about the oil, people have differnet ideas about weight (I may go with 10w ?) and amount 200ml in each leg, then springs in and caps on. Am I close ? PS I weigh 11 stone and forks are fitted to a Challenger and I am not planning any serious racing .....yet, may have a bash in the future.

The seals go in flat side upwards , the extra seal on the top to the circlip goes open side up , it wipes the dirt off before it gets to the other seals & is held in place by the dust cover .

There is no special top wiper seal .

Oil , I believe was 1/4 pint per leg , the only way to alter the damping is by using different grades of fork oil , back in the day it was Shell Tellus 33 .

Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris. Iv'e had a look and seen that the old ones are as you said. Shell Tellus oil, I've heard of that one, should be able to track an equivalent. Here we go then - fork rebuild can now begin.

Comment

Ceriani Forks

Been overhauling these for years now, and i seem to get on best with a good quality 20 w fork oil with approx 180-200cc of oil in each leg. The best way i have found to gain the correct volume of oil (from empty forks) is to raise your bike having the front wheel off the ground and remove the top (crown) fork nut and fork spring, slowly pour in oil until you cover the damper rods looking down inside the tubes with a torch. Use anything long enough to act as a dipstick to gauge how much you have above the top of the rods trying to achieve a level of 1/2" above the top of the rods. When carrying out this operation its worth gently pumping the forks up and down a few times to expell any trapped air. Its very surprising how much the level will vary with only a small amount of oil. Once complete assemble fork and leave overnight. I do a double check the next day by putting the bike back on the ground and quickly lifting the front end so the wheel clears the ground to check the forks are not "topping" (indicated by a noticeable metal to metal bang) If this happens then oil has found a new level below the damper rods, and the procedure above needs to be repeated by adding more oil. BTW seals as mentioned above.
        Last edited by ampshire-og; 10/07/2012, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X