Greeves GP 500.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves GP 500.

At this years AGM, Andrew King mentioned the Greeves GP 500, as well as the (not a Greeves) JKD engine which has it's roots in the design.

Dave Harper now owns the bike, and it was shown in it's completed form (following Dave's painstaking restoration) for the first time at the 2010 GRA AGM.

For those members who may not have seen the bike before, I thought I'd post these pics for interest. In the last pic, Dave Harper (on the right) chats about the bike with Arthur Browning, our very entertaining (and straight talking!) guest speaker for that year.

[Note; For pics of the JKD engine that Andew brought along to this years AGM, see page 2 of my album of pics for the event, here;http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...mid=56&page=2]

Brian.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 12/04/2012, 12:13 AM. Reason: Pics attached.

Looks very smart .

It was a beast to ride , so much power in a bendy frame , I took it to a meeting for Dick Clayton to ride in Gloucester and the next day in Wales . It wore him out completely .

Dave Nichol rode it at a TV meeting at Cadwell Park and the chain cut through the bottom of the air filter box , bringing his ride to an abrupt halt .

I'm not sure if Arthur Browning rode it , think he had gone before it was used in anger , was a shame as he would probably done the bike justice , when AKB rode a bike it was him in control & the bike did as it was told .

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by riflegreen View Post
      Looks very smart .

It was a beast to ride , so much power in a bendy frame , I took it to a meeting for Dick Clayton to ride in Gloucester and the next day in Wales . It wore him out completely .

Dave Nichol rode it at a TV meeting at Cadwell Park and the chain cut through the bottom of the air filter box , bringing his ride to an abrupt halt .

I'm not sure if Arthur Browning rode it , think he had gone before it was used in anger , was a shame as he would probably done the bike justice , when AKB rode a bike it was him in control & the bike did as it was told .

Chris
      Hi Chris.

I had this photo in my scrap book since 1973. I got all excited that something new was in the works.

Kenny
      Attached Files

Comment

Gp 500

Hiya Kenny.

Great pic mate, thanks for posting!

Thanks also to Chris for his comments and insights. Much appreciated as always mate.

Brian.

Comment

Thanks Brian ,

Kenny that was the first outing , complete with my numbering on the side plate .

You notice it has a kick start - the only easy way to start it was push it .

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by riflegreen View Post
            Thanks Brian ,

Kenny that was the first outing , complete with my numbering on the side plate .

You notice it has a kick start - the only easy way to start it was push it .

Chris
            Hi Chris,

Great insight! Must have been a bear just to push with that massive slug in it.

Who was behind the new design? How did it work in the standard Griffon frame shown?

Thanks!
            Kenny

Comment

what year?

Interesting stuff, but when was this engine being developed, was it to superseed the mk2 griffon or before that, only i see 1973 mentioned & it is being tested in a mk1 frame i believe.
              No ignore that, having looked at it again, its nothing like a mk1 frame.
              Last edited by dave higgins; 11/04/2012, 07:24 PM.

Comment

500 motor

Dave,
                As a matter of interest the 500 was first fired up on 28th May 1971. This means that Dave harper could use it in the pre 74 class!!

Druid

Comment

500 motor.

Nice one John, thanks for sharing the info with us.

As it's eligible for that class, and with Dave's approval of course, maybe we could convince Kenny to come over and ride the beastie as well....!

I'd be happy to make the tea for everyone....

Must admit, it sounds a bit like those infamous air cooled Honda CR500 strokers....By all accounts, those things could break your ankle/collarbone/arm etc just by looking at you....!

Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post

As it's eligible for that class, and with Dave's approval of course, maybe we could convince Kenny to come over and ride the beastie as well....!

Must admit, it sounds a bit like those infamous air cooled Honda CR500 strokers....By all accounts, those things could break your ankle/collarbone/arm etc just by looking at you....!

Brian.
                    Funny Brian...I'm starting my low testosterone prescription tomorrow. I think many more on your side with much more talent than I are more deserving.

Kenny

Comment

In Training!

Originally posted by Bearingman View Post
                      Funny Brian...I'm starting my low testosterone prescription tomorrow.
                      Hilarious!!!

Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post

Brian.

Wow! I want one! I'm a sucker for bikes that punish your body, big Maicos, KX500 etc.....
                        All that power with the regulation 4" of suspension travel might be a bit tough on the wrists, knees etc.... but I'd love to see what its like.

Cheers,
                        Andrew

Comment

Working...
                        X