36MX4...in need of an engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36MX4...in need of an engine

Hi everyone. A very poorly 36MX4 has come my way with no engine. I have looked to see if anyone is selling an engine but had no luck - are they still available?
    Is this bike project a non starter or could I possibly fit another engine ? I am trying my best to rebuild close to original spec. Bike is a 1968 with cerani forks.

36mx4

Hi Bertie
    I have a 24mx4 and think it is the best of the challengers but why I was replying to Your post I may be able to help with engine parts.
    I have a barrel and head ,crankcases and gearbox shells but not too many internals,crank and gears may be a problem.
    Please be in touch if You interested and I will have a sort out.
    Regards Paul

Comment

Hi I assume your 24 has a 250cc engine but my 36 should have a 360cc (single/twin)? On the listing elsewhere on this site it states engine is a Greeves/Albion (have read that the Albion refers to gearbox). I would like to know if I could fit a Villiers, but which model/cc

Comment

Hi Bertie
        Forgot to say it is 360 engine parts that I have
        Paul

Comment

MX4 chassis with no engine.... sounds like a candidate for a a Triumph motor!

Comment

Or a nice b44!

Comment

Or perhaps something bigger capacity wise...
              The great thing about the MX4 chassis is the space available to fit a suitable and age related motor from a different manufacturer without having to change / modify the main frame assembly. It's always nice to be in a position not to have to make irreversible changes that means you can't put the bike back to standard at a later date if so decided.
              Unit BSA & Triumph singles fit very nicely as do Unit Triumph and BSA twins.
              Good luck whichever way you decide to progress, for me the MX4 is the prettiest of all the Greeves models, subjective personal view only.
              If you decide not to progress and want to sell the rolling chassis please PM me..... You can never have too many MX4's

Comment

There was I dreaming of a nice quiet trail bike!

Comment

Mmmm..... BSA B50 motor in a Griffon rolling chassis would make a nice quiet trail bike.....

Comment

36mx4

It will only be quiet if you fit the 3cwt lozenge silencer. Sounds better with the short megga - even the police will agree!

Druid

Comment

Finding a good B50 motor or enough part's to build one at a realistic price might be a problem, whereas 3TA/5TA part's are in abundance and cheap.... I've recently aquired enough part's to put together a 3TA including reground crank, shell,s main's, rebored barrels' new piston's new guides and spring's plus enough spares to nearly build another two for approx £500, plan being that once I've built mine using the best bit's, to sell the rest on and end up with a good engine for next to nowt as we say up here in Yorkshire.......
                      Keeping a vigilant eye on e bay was how I did it, there are bargain's to be had on there, yet I am amazed at what people will pay. An outer clutch cover I had a watch on for said engines, sold this week for over £90 add the shipping and it came to over a ton, whereas I got one for £65 a couple of month's back, only difference being mine was attached to a matching pair of crankcases, timing cover, camshaft's, some of the timing gear, oil pressure switch, barrels and head. Likewise a job lot of pushrod's for £8.50provided me with 2 full set's a couple of spare's and a pushrod tube, yet people seem prepared to pay £11 for one..... KRAZEEEEEEEEEEE

Comment

Yes, you are absolutely right about the price and availability of the unit Triumph twins in both 350 & 500 form. Plentiful spares, still reactively cheap and easy to work on. Definitely a sensible option.
                        They're a great motor, I have one myself in a Griffon rolling chassis and I love it.
                        Don't rule out the unit BSA twins though, price and availability just as good, as is the performance, physically compact for special building.
                        My response reference the B50 in the Griffon was written a little tongue in cheek to draw Druid as I'm actually putting one together as one of my project builds at present. Again you're absolutely right about price and availability of the motor, not good on either account.
                        E-bay prices are somewhat erratic even week by week, you only need two people wanting the same item and the price rockets, especially if those people haven't done their homework, and therefore pay way over the odds.
                        I find trawling the small ads in papers, magazines, on forums and word of mouth the best way of obtaining spares at the right price, and that's before I've resorted to some proper Yorkshire haggling.

Comment

Ebay is often is often blamed for pushing the prices up on the items that we are all seeking, but there is another side, in that it is a very cheap source of buying & selling worldwide. for a few pounds, you can show exactly what you are selling, in detailed pictures all across the world, instantly.
                          Go back to the days before ebay & remember the hours spent at auto jumbles on the phone etc.
                          Possibly a lot more enjoyable, but in the modern fast world we live in, not so practical.
                          As gr11mpy said, if you know the form, you know when to buy & sell then, you can get a good deal.
                          As for pricing of retail products, then i find i can often, buy the same item, but less the vat & postage, because of the lack of o/heads.
                          So all in all, i can not complain, fortunately the old ways are not yet gone, but are certainly on thier way. dave

Comment

Working...
                          X