24mx6b info needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24mx6b info needed.

Anyone know the details of 24MX6. It is not listed in the Carrick-Walker book
    And the info on the web is suspect. I am wondering if it is a USA model only because of the new 24MX4 in 68
    Seen 1 on the web and the colector cards before I purchased mine. It seems
    like a slightly up dated 24MX5. (pipe & 932 carb & color) so far

24 mx6

The 24 MX6 was never sold in the UK. We went from MX5 to MX4 (yes I know it sounds strange but we are talking about Greeves here).

No doubt Kenny Sykes will verify but I think the MX6 is a short stroke engined version of the MX5.

Druid

Comment

Druid,
      I have seem a couple of MX6's and i can say that both had the short stroke engines. The B models had banana forks and the D models had the ceriani's.
      The frames looked near on identical to the MX5's. The expansion chambers where very slightly different in that instead of a one piece tapering cone going up the side the MX6 had a two piece angled pipe up the side. Both ended in the same place though? As for colours or should i say "color" i have only seen the green frame ans white ish fribre glass, although who knows if this was original? it did look like it. Carb 932. Pegs were original Greeves folding type same as my american MX3B. I still have them if anyone wants them?
      Hope this is of some help.
      Cheers
      The ampshire-og.

Comment

24mx6b

Now that I learned how to use the search tab. It looks like bearingman has already covered the MX. Mine is 24MX6B106 How ever it is a long stroke motor
        with a down for first trany and rolled cone pipe. The trany is stamped /68 my MX2 is /65 and MX5 is /67 have not been able to figure out what the numbers on motor cases yet.
        Is there a date code on the motor cases. Or do I just have a home built
        The good news is it looks good on the inside (rings gaskets & seals only)

Comment

24mx6b

The numbers stamped on the crankcases are not date coded although it is sometimes possible to tie up an engine number to a date.
          The engine numbers relate to the engine spec i.e. GPA5 XXX.
          Likewise the gearbox stamping i.e. CCA refers to the gearbox spec. the stamping i.e. 15/66 refers to week 15 in 1966. I believe, but Chris will probably confirm, that there was often a seperate stamping i.e. 106 which refers to the clock number of the builder.
          Quite often the crankcase will also have a seperate letter stamped on it i.e. G or D. This refers to the engine builder, usually his christian name.

Any cases or frames supplied as a replacement part would be unstamped.

Druid

Comment

Druid is correct on the gearbox numbers , the left hand of the shell was stamped with a date code for week and year and another number which is the clock number of the engine buikder .

107 being me , 83 the engine shop foreman , Dave Brown & 83 , Tim Curtis .

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by i like rocks View Post
              Anyone know the details of 24MX6. It is not listed in the Carrick-Walker book
              And the info on the web is suspect. I am wondering if it is a USA model only because of the new 24MX4 in 68
              Seen 1 on the web and the colector cards before I purchased mine. It seems
              like a slightly up dated 24MX5. (pipe & 932 carb & color) so far

If this was the MX6 listed on EBAY last month or so, then yes it has the incorrect long stroke motor with the proper MX6 exhaust. Maybe the owner did not like the high revving short stroke and preferred the MX5 motor. The MX6 frame is the same as a MX5 that were shipped to the USA. Most that I have come across are the 24MX6B with the banana front fork.

As far as I know Nick Nicholson did not import the 24MX4, only the 36MX4. It's too bad, looking back I think the MX4 would have sold well here in the states, as the 36MX4 was quite successful sales wise. I think a few 24MX4's might have come to the east coast importer Randy Wilson, but this is speculation only on my part. I do have a friend who owns a 24MX4 which did come from the east coast.

Speculation again on my part...Maybe there was excess MX5 frames and the factory used the new short stoke motor to Nick's specs. We'll never know.

Kenny Sykes
              USA

Comment

Originally posted by ampshire-og View Post
                Druid,
                I have seem a couple of MX6's and i can say that both had the short stroke engines. The B models had banana forks and the D models had the ceriani's.
                The frames looked near on identical to the MX5's. The expansion chambers where very slightly different in that instead of a one piece tapering cone going up the side the MX6 had a two piece angled pipe up the side. Both ended in the same place though? As for colours or should i say "color" i have only seen the green frame ans white ish fribre glass, although who knows if this was original? it did look like it. Carb 932. Pegs were original Greeves folding type same as my american MX3B. I still have them if anyone wants them?
                Hope this is of some help.
                Cheers
                The ampshire-og.
                Hi Druid,

All MX5 and MX6 that came to the states through Nicholson were blue with alloy guards as far as I know in California. The MX5 that I have has the greenish air box while the MX6 has the moorland blue glass.

The USA spec MX3 had the white air box, with a blue frame and fork, with different designed folding footrest than the MX5 and MX6.

Kenny

Comment

Working...
                X