1963 Greeves Starmaker - Is this the rarest Greeves Scrambles Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Greeves Starmaker - Is this the rarest Greeves Scrambles Bike

A US friend of mine sent this fascinating article.................not sure the bickers facts are right? - but interesting all the same.......twin carb's and clearly potentially valuable - although US$30,000 is pushing it....That's nearly as much as a CCM or Cheyney BSA

Cheers Kim

Kim ,

Won't comment on the Bickers reason for changing bikes mid season but the Villiers/Greeves tie up did not end until after the Anglian trials bikes in 1968 .

The Starmaker was a nasty engine to make run with the two Amals , was much better with one .

Chris

Comment

Hi Kim/Chris

I think the price is abit optimistic

The article says none are left in the uk? Whats that bike Steve Salmon rides then?

I saw an ME down kempton park autojumble about 7 years ago, a guy was wheeling out of a van on a board, it looked very original, another guy said how much? The seller said £800, the buyer said il have it. It all hapened as quick as that. I wonder where that went

As to rare greeves i believe only 32 Short Stroke MX4 Chalengers were built, thats what we were told when i bought mine and phoned the club to check where it came from.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by scott151 View Post
        Hi Kim/Chris

I think the price is abit optimistic

The article says none are left in the uk? Whats that bike Steve Salmon rides then?

I saw an ME down kempton park autojumble about 7 years ago, a guy was wheeling out of a van on a board, it looked very original, another guy said how much? The seller said £800, the buyer said il have it. It all hapened as quick as that. I wonder where that went

As to rare greeves i believe only 32 Short Stroke MX4 Chalengers were built, thats what we were told when i bought mine and phoned the club to check where it came from.

Scott
        I think that they only made about 32 25SA scramblers

Comment

What a load of cobblers! Rare maybe, but not terribly desirable. Worth about the same as an MCS/MDS in similar condition I would have thought.
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
            What a load of cobblers! Rare maybe, but not terribly desirable. Worth about the same as an MCS/MDS in similar condition I would have thought.
            Which particular bit is a load of cobblers?

Comment

I remember helping Joe Johnson on his works Cotton Starmaker when the support bracket broke that held the 2 carbs up. He came to our marshal post with the motor on almost full chat. We got the lead off and tied the carbs up with a bit of baling twine to get him back to the pits. Does anyone know how the progressive opening actually worked?

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Baskill View Post
                Which particular bit is a load of cobblers?
                The Bickers info and talking up the value.
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by riflegreen View Post
                  Kim ,

Won't comment on the Bickers reason for changing bikes mid season but the Villiers/Greeves tie up did not end until after the Anglian trials bikes in 1968 .

The Starmaker was a nasty engine to make run with the two Amals , was much better with one .

Chris
                  Hi Chris,

I've never seen a photo with Bickers on an ME. Can anyone post one if they have it?

Kenny

Comment

Working...
                  X