380 Griffon QUB (63 F) Front Wheel Assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 380 Griffon QUB (63 F) Front Wheel Assembly

Having sorted out the front brake plate etc on my basket case bike, I'm not entirely sure if I have a spacer missing or not. The CD Greeves Workshop & parts manual (which I've just bought - great investment) shows a spacer (part 74) on the diagram for the front wheel which looks like it might go on the spindle before the spindle goes into the brake plate. But part 74 does not get a mention in the parts list.

No spacer would make sense because the step in the spindle could then butt against the spacer on the inside of the brake plate. However, it would be a very tight fit to get the spindle into the brake plate past the first step. I could do it by warming the brake plate a little and cooling the spindle - so it is possible.

But am I barking up the wrong tree here, and should there be a spacer 74?

If anyone knows I be pleased to hear. Thanks

63f

Is that a sprung front end or ceriani ? pls
    also have you tried villiers services they have a massive ex stock of parts or drawing of spacer ? from the club (if your a member) ?

greeves246

Comment

Yes, it is Ceriani forks model. A slight development - I now see that the only thing stopping the spindle going into the brake plate was a slight bit of deformation from a previous over enthusiastic use of a blunt instrument. Now that is filed off, the spindle goes in OK, but it still leaves the issue of does the brake plate butt up to the fork slider, or is there a spacer/washer in between.

Thanks for the help.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Tubster View Post
        Yes, it is Ceriani forks model. A slight development - I now see that the only thing stopping the spindle going into the brake plate was a slight bit of deformation from a previous over enthusiastic use of a blunt instrument. Now that is filed off, the spindle goes in OK, but it still leaves the issue of does the brake plate butt up to the fork slider, or is there a spacer/washer in between.

Thanks for the help.

Tony
        Hi Tony,

There are no spacers between the fork slider and the brake plate. Because Greeves used different forks along the way, they would machine the backing plate to accommodate the different widths of the fork. Early Griffon Ceriani's are wider than the later QUB Ceriani fork.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
        Kenny Sykes
        USA

Comment

Thanks a lot Kenny, you have cleared that one up for me........now to the rest of the box of bits!

Cheers, Tony

Comment

front wheel spindle

the only 2 spacers is the one between the bearings and the waisted spacer on the near side leg the idea was the spindle inserted and tighten nut on the near side thn bounce picking the front wheel off the deck and dropping the front end on the ground) forks to center the off side leg on the spindle and then tighten the clamps on the spindle.

like (kenny said)

Comment

Thanks gents. Some of the stuff I'm asking about is a bit early, because I haven't yet got the frame ready, and it is likely to be next spring before I complete. I intend restoring the bike back to it's racing condition in the 70s as opposed to making it like new. This means retaining the cylinder with every other fin removed (to stop mud clogging?) and retaining the lay-down modified suspension. I hope to get some photos etc of the bike racing then, and that's how it was - and it did win some races - so who am I to change things.

Thanks again.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Tubster View Post
                Thanks a lot Kenny, you have cleared that one up for me........now to the rest of the box of bits!

Cheers, Tony
                Hi Tony,

Happy to help!

Also make sure you have the bushing that goes inside the backing plate, as these sometimes pop out. This bushing keeps the proper clearance between the backing plate and the hub.

Kenny

Comment

greeves 380

hehehe fancy kenny hes only on the front wheel lol no pulling your leg it will be easy the front wheel had me for ahwile ;-)

Comment

Working...
                  X