My 36MX4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stormer254 View Post
    Did any of the360s have a single port exhaust? I have one but always thought it was a retrofitted QUB barrel,
    Hi Stormer,

Post a picture. Maybe you own the very first one produced?!

Our former editor of the GRA if I recall owned one at one time.

Join the Club and send over some pics!

Regards,
    Kenny

Comment

Originally posted by riflegreen View Post
      Geof & John ,

Nice pair of 360 there , they were my favourite .

John , you turn a 360 into a 380 by sticking a bigger piston in , the works 360were at varous times 390 & 400 using a 83mm & 84mm piston .

The last works 360 ( ! ) , had nickel plated frames & red fibre glass also we ran them with a BVF carburettor ( East German ? ) . In photos you can tell which ones because they had a a rexine shield hiding the carb and clipped to the rear frame tubes . There is one in the Greeves book, entitled Bryan Wade goes ploughing .

The cover was to hide the carb from the Amal peoples sight .

Like all Comp Shops we could be devious as well .

Chris
      Hi Chris,

I came across this photo on the BVF carb. Looks like it was fitted to a Griffon with the up and over pipe.

Interesting stuff you factory guys did in the day.

Sorry picture came out a little blurry.

Kenny Sykes
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bearingman View Post
        Hi John,

Happy to help.

Funny story, I built an MX4 250 for a fellow using your Circle-F patterns. Kevin shipped me the pieces tack welded together and we made the rest using the single exhaust header pipe for the 250 motor.

I've been piecing a MX4 together for myself for a few years now and can never finish due to so many other projects and other pressing issues.

Regards,
        Kenny
        Hi Kenny,

Is this the MX4 you mention? Kevin sent me this picture when I ordered a pipe from him recently.

Nice bike, would quite like an MX4 250 myself, actually.

Cheers,
        Andrew
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Z View Post
          Hi Kenny,

Is this the MX4 you mention? Kevin sent me this picture when I ordered a pipe from him recently.

Nice bike, would quite like an MX4 250 myself, actually.

Cheers,
          Andrew
          Thanks Andy!

Yes, I built it for a friend a few years back. Nick never brought in a 24MX4 (that I'm aware of), only his USA spec MX6 with the short stroke motor.

I used a 36MX4 frame using an MX6 motor and had the Kevin at Circle F built me the front and back cones with the silencer. My brother and I made the header pipe from stainless and then polished it.

I never knew that the Works MX4's were painted red, so we decided to go with it. Just recently the owner had me shorten an MX5 tank, lengthen the seat by an inch and half. Due to a bad hip and knee, he wanted this done to make it a little easier on him to be a little closer to the front. I then repainted it back to green...he got tired of people asking him why it was red and not blue or green!

The owner used to ride a 380 Griffon back in the day, but did not really liked the way it handled and he always liked the MX4, so I offered this to him to build.

I had MZB in Germany make me a couple ignitions and used one on this bike. I just had to grind and polish the back side of the transmission outer housing a little to make clearance for the smaller Motoplat cover from the late model Griffon.

The owner really enjoys how it handles and runs.

The photo is of his tank and seat is on my 360 for mock up only.

BTW...I will never do a job on a tank like that again!

Cheers!
          Kenny Sykes
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X