Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves 36MX4

Hi All,

I've finally found a bike which really is ready to race and couldn't resist buying it, and will be racing at Malandsea next weekend!

However, having bought an MX4, I can't help wondering what was the factory method of holding these bikes upright?
    The underslung exhaust mucks-up the use of any conventional motocross stand.

Cheers,
    Andrew

36mx4

Andy,

Dave used to lean it against his caravan!
    One alternative is to use a side stand, or if you want to get the wheels out - lay it on it's side but watch out for the fluids.

You could try one of the race paddock stands which support the swinging arm but the anchor plate tends to get in the way.

Druid

Comment

I used a milk crate with a block of wood cable tied to one side to compensate for the under-slung exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by stormer254 View Post
        I used a milk crate with a block of wood cable tied to one side to compensate for the under-slung exhaust
        I was thinking along those lines!
        Leaning it against the caravan or car is fine at a race meeting but doesn't really work when you have a garage full of junk! Not all of it is junk though, it just looks it to most people!

Cheers,

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Z View Post
          Hi All,

I've finally found a bike which really is ready to race and couldn't resist buying it, and will be racing at Malandsea next weekend!

However, having bought an MX4, I can't help wondering what was the factory method of holding these bikes upright?
          The underslung exhaust mucks-up the use of any conventional motocross stand.

Cheers,
          Andrew
          Hi Andy,

On my two MX4's I bored one side of the swing arm axle about 3/4" in depth to except the Greeves side stands.

Regards,
          Kenny Sykes

Comment

Originally posted by Bearingman View Post
            Hi Andy,

On my two MX4's I bored one side of the swing arm axle about 3/4" in depth to except the Greeves side stands.

Regards,
            Kenny Sykes
            Hi Kenny,

Is the Greeves stand similar to modern triangular motocross stands, which are designed to go in the rear axle? I've never actually seen a genuine Greeves one!

Cheers,
            Andrew

Comment

Hello Andy.

The swinging arm pivot on my MX2 was hollow, which enabled a bent rod to be inserted. Other end of the rod was welded at a right-angle to a piece of light angle about 10" long, which rested on the ground, and provided adequate support for the bike when slightly leaning.

Has your Challenger got the necessary "tubular" swinging arm pivot?

Regards,

John R

Comment

Originally posted by johnrunnacles View Post
                Hello Andy.

The swinging arm pivot on my MX2 was hollow, which enabled a bent rod to be inserted. Other end of the rod was welded at a right-angle to a piece of light angle about 10" long, which rested on the ground, and provided adequate support for the bike when slightly leaning.

Has your Challenger got the necessary "tubular" swinging arm pivot?

Regards,

John R

Hi John,

No, the spindle is solid. I'll have to make do for now, until I have time to drill the spindle. The spindle on my MX1 is hollow, though.

I have seen a stand in the USA made by Pyramid Cycle Stands, but can't find anyone who sells them!

Thanks for the ideas,

Cheers,

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                X