325x19 rear)
    Thanks.

Tyre Pressures

Whoops,should have been 18" rear wheel,not 19"
    Sorry.

Comment

Tyre pressures.

Hi,

It depends on types of tyres and loading/use, but I'd start at 26 front & 28 back. Increase if you are heavier or are carrying a pillion. If you feel the handling on long corners is a bit 'soft' increase by 2 lbs. Over 34 you may distort the tyre carcass, leading to excessive wear in the centre, as the tyre 'grows' when turning.

I did some 'on road' tyre testing for Dunlop back in the 70's on the current 'Superbikes' of the day. They were equipped with Jap Dunlops which had stiff sidewalls that aided handling, but were a b****r to get off. Having a GL1000 K0 Gold Wing, (one of the first in the UK), I had several rear tyres in one month at one time. The effect of sidewall strength affects handling remarkably. Thus, you may get a NOS K70 Dunlop that performs well at say 26lbs/psi, but replace it with a Korean copy that needs another lb or two. Continental tyres were generally 'softer' and Michelins 'harder'.

John Wakefield can give you an exact guide......these are just from experience.

P.

Comment

Hi Peter, no I cannot add any more than what you have given. No idea what official pressures are, I use those you have suggested. I suppose they would be in the owners hand book if Greeves ever produced one, if so maybe some who has one could look it up.

Comment

Tyre pressures

Taken from original service notes,Front=20psi. Rear=19psi,Based on riders weight of 140 pounds. Add 1psi for every 28 pounds over 140 pounds to front plus 1 pound to rear. Same applies for 25DC. I hope this helps. From a DC rider,I have one of each, It works fine for me.

Comment

Tyre pressures

Thanks Mayfield, interesting that front tyre pressure is slightly higher than rear. Of course 140 lb is only 5 stone so a 13 stone rider would require 28 & 27 respectively.

Comment

tyre pressures

Use both hands John,140lbs is 10 stone,thanks for the info guys.

Comment

Tyre pressures

Yes of course, so used to kilos these days I got my pounds & stones wrong, was thinking 28 to stone. Guess I was confused with the 28 pound increments in pressure increase.

Comment

Working...
                X