Ethanol proofing an Essex Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethanol proofing an Essex Tank

I thought it worth posting these pics of one mans answer to the problem of ethanol melting fibreglass petrol tanks, in this case in a 25DD Essex. Former GRA member Ralf Mynn devised an internal alloy tank that fits inside the standard Essex tank shell. It involves cutting the bottom out of the tank and fitting the alloy tank inside, rather like Montessa did on their Cota trials bike, Obviously there is a small loss of capacity, but as the Essex tank holds 3 gallons it will still leave a capacity of over 2 gallons. A permanent fix and one that does not detract from the appearance of the bike.
    Attached Files

As you know John I have had a couple of 'replica' alloy tanks made for my Enduros. However aluminium is not immune to the dreaded ethanol -

'ethanol is not compatible with soft metals such as zinc, brass, copper, lead, and aluminium. These metals will degrade or corrode in contact with ethanol and possibly contaminate a vehicle's fuel system.​'

possibly a slower process I don't know, however perhaps they need lining with a suitable product?

Comment

Make the inner tank in steel? There are products to line fibreglass tanks, but they may degrade over time. Also, if ethanol has already started to eat into the fibreglass, I understand it is too late to line it. Use Avgas...... Alternatively, in most parts of the country, excluding parts of the NE, as well as the SW and Scotland, Esso superunleaded from the red labelled pumps still do not contain ethanol, even though the pump states 'E5'. That is a legal requirement, but it is up to 5%, and they can trade it off across their E10 products. It is 99 Ron too; good fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
        As you know John I have had a couple of 'replica' alloy tanks made for my Enduros. However aluminium is not immune to the dreaded ethanol -

'ethanol is not compatible with soft metals such as zinc, brass, copper, lead, and aluminium. These metals will degrade or corrode in contact with ethanol and possibly contaminate a vehicle's fuel system.​'

possibly a slower process I don't know, however perhaps they need lining with a suitable product?
        I dont think ethanol will have any dramatic effect on aluminium or zinc copper lead brass etc All a bit scaremongering. I use E10 petrol and have noticed no corrosion on the brass and zinc alloy parts of the carb. Probably takes a 1000 years to eat through a petrol tank!

Comment

Lets hope so - 20 years will be enough for me I expect

Comment

Ahhh I have been contemplating exactly this on my 32DD Essex. I had a fellow do a Rickman Metisse tank 5 years ago by this method and it was great. Do we know who did the tank here? It is also an opportunity to fit 2 taps so fuel in one side is not "trapped"

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur View Post
              Ahhh I have been contemplating exactly this on my 32DD Essex. I had a fellow do a Rickman Metisse tank 5 years ago by this method and it was great. Do we know who did the tank here? It is also an opportunity to fit 2 taps so fuel in one side is not "trapped"
              As stated in my post, the tank shown in the pics was done by former GRA member Ralf Mynn he sold it with his 25DD Essex some weeks ago

Comment

HA !! Ok it was not clear if he did the work himself or just devised the solution. Presumably he would not be interested in doing mine.??

Comment

Sadly I think not as he is not in best of health and is in process of moving house.

Comment

Does Roger Ennis do new ethanol proof tanks for that model?
                    his number is in the club magazine

Comment

Originally posted by shelly View Post
                      Does Roger Ennis do new ethanol proof tanks for that model?
                      his number is in the club magazine
                      Yes but he takes a long time (months) to make one, not sure though if they are any more ethanol resistant than the originals. The alloy inner tank insert is the way to go. OR an all alloy or steel replacement. A DCX owner has adapted a Chinese made steel tank available on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354351986026?
                      Attached Files

Comment

He made my Silverstone in just over a month and so far it's been fine and he is not expensive.

Comment

Finally found somebody to make an alloy tank in my glass fibre Essex one. Then somebody put me onto a young fabricator who wanted to "try" so I bought the scrappy CDX tank tank was recently on e bay in Red and White..it is recoverable but I'm surprised at how different the 2 tanks are . I will keep the Forum posted on how it turns out.

Comment

The DCX tank is not the same as Essex

Comment

Yes as i said i was surprised at how different the 2 tanks are

Comment

Working...
                              X