East Coaster questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East Coaster questions

I've just bought a superbly restored East Coaster. 4T engine. I have ordered a manual from Villiers but in the meantime I'd be grateful if someone would advise me of the best oil and grade for the gearbox, and the quantity (is the mark on the dipstick to be trusted as full) Which is best oil for chaincase and the quantity.For the engine, I am using (at the moment, because I have a quantity of it) full synthetic at 30/1 I have heard semi-synth is better at that ratio-. Thoughts please. Anything else I should know, I've not a lot of experience with two strokes in recent years, with developments in plugs, oils, ignition systems etc. Thanks in advance

Hi Colin In my EC I use SAE 80/85 gear oil in gearbox, fill up to mark on dipstick, 10/40 engine oil in primary chain case fill till it comes out of level plug, and engine Comma 2 Stroke (mineral oil) at 25:1 in engine. https://www.commaoil.com/productsguide/view/6/267 you dont need fully synthetic in a Villiers 4T. But its OK to use the synthetic up at 30:1 For the record which EC have you bought I most likely have some passed history on the bike.

You can download a free copy of 4T Workshop Manual here https://www.james-motorcycles.com/wp...hop-manual.pdf
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 20/03/2023, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Hi John. Many thanks for the information. I did wonder about using Gear oil in the gearbox, I have a good supply of various grades for some of my other bikes. I also have some 10/40 engine oil but it is semi synthetic, is this OK? The bike is HKO 675K 25DC428B ex Bill D and in truly great conditiion.

Comment

The semi synthetic oil should be OK, I think all modern engine oils are such these days. If clutch slips then you would need a straight oil, you could use automatic transmission fluid as an alternative.
        I know of the bike. It was supplied by A Francis of Welling & dispatched from factory on 15/10/65. I dont know who had it new but it was later owned by Brian Boult of Waterlooville in unrestored condition, Bill Drummond acquired it 8/07 and restored it, I understand he has made a few non standard mods ie Essex type fibreglass mudguards (it would have had alloy ones from new) and modification of the ignition system to battery coil ignition (it was original flywheel mag) so the wiring diagram in the w/shop manual will not be applicable, presumably Bill has supplied you with the modified diagram. The battery coil ignition should make for easier starting.

Comment

Hi John. Many thanks for the history. Bill told me about the mods he made and gave me the wiring diagram of the revised ignition. It is indeed easy to start,

Another question if I may. Were any roadster models ever equipped with prop stands as original equipment? If yes are props available now from anywhere. Alternatively will prop stands from any comp. model fit ,and again are they available. I would like a prop stand but would not want to modify any part of the original bike parts.ie it would have to be a simple bolt on job, easily removed . Thanks again. I have received a Manual from Villiers now

Comment

Colin. Short answer is that no prop stands were fitted to UK road bikes, the trials prop stand probably could be modified to fit, but they are not readily available. However Greeves did provide a prop stand for a batch of 20DC bikes that were exported to Rhodesia. Here is an assembly drawing of it and what looks like the modifications required to footrests, looks like it replaces the main stand. The 20DC frame is basically the same as East Coaster. If there was enough interest I am sure Garry Bamford (British Bikes 1970) could manufacture a batch. The component part drawings for the stand & mounting are available from the drawings officer Gary Bamford email garygmm@live.co.uk

Looking at my EC the footrests and their mounting plates are different from 20DC but it may be possible to mount the prop stand using a longer bolt and a spacer on the near side main stand pivot.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 23/03/2023, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Again John Many thanks

Comment

Working...
              X