20DC in South Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20DC in South Africa

Found these pics on the Facebook page of The Motorcycle Room museum in Knysna, South Africa. https://themotorcycleroom.co.za/ Looks like a 20DC that has been 'cut down' for off road use. I have messaged the museum to get the frame number, so hopefully may be able to find out more about it. Looks like it may be one of the 20DC's sold to Rhodesia Police. Amazing how these bikes keep turning up.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 17/02/2023, 10:14 PM. Reason: Amended text re Rhodesia police bikes

I have now heard from Norman Tinkler the museum curator, the frame number is 24DC415 but engine is a 9E 251D9874 as fitted to the 20DC. As far as I can see the 24DC was not made after 1962 and the last one I have recorded is 24DC127. The 9E engine number is circa 1964! Looks like someone made an error with stamping, probably got number punches set up for 24 and forgot to change 4 to a 0.
    I think the number should have been 20DC415 which is apparently missing from UK records.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 21/02/2023, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Interesting expansion chamber. I'm sure they could have made the down pipe longer if they'd tried.

Comment

Another 20DC number 283 has been discovered in Bulawayo (see pic below) looks like its been well butchered. ie 6E engine fitted, extender shock mountings on s/arm non Greeves rear wheel and smaller petrol tank to make a rough and ready trials bike. But I suppose after the police finished with them they were of no value and just got sold on, original parts would be difficult to find in S/Africa so I suppose locals fitted whatever was available. So this makes 4 known, the one in The Motor Cycle Room museum 20DC415 (stamped 24DC415) and 20DC129 and 20DC179 in Australia
        Attached Files
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 27/02/2023, 09:53 PM.

Comment

1962 Greeves Rhodesian Export 20DC 197cc Villiers
          ​This appeared on ebay some time ago and is the most original that I have seen.

I have in the past able to assist people who have aquired these models.

All frame numbers are in batches not on the domestic dispatch list.

Alan J Wilson

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Alan for posting that pic, I dont suppose you recall the frame number or where it was for sale I seem to have missed it when on eBay. Do you know how many were sold to the Rhodesian Police. The one in the pic is probably near to how they left Thundersley. It is known that they had the separate headlight and not the standard roadster tool box. There are drawings in the Greeves archive of the relevant modifications, including the prop stand, cut out for spoke removal in rear hub, tie rod for frame, speedo bracket welded to top yoke and modified top tube with bracket to bolt to tie rod. and Would it be possible to email me a high resultion copy of the pic to jwakefield63@yahoo.co.uk Thanks John
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 04/03/2023, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks to Alan Wilson I have now been informed that the 20DC's exported to Rhodesia were not supplied to the police, (although they may have bought some) but to a dealer who sold them to the general public. I have since been sent attached pic of one in restoration with Ross Martin, this is probably very near the configuration of the original bikes, ie no roadster tool box and trials type QD headlight. The dealer who imported the bikes was Wishart's Motor Cycles, 61 Salisbury Street, Salisbury (now Harare), Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe)
              Attached Files
              Last edited by John Wakefield; 08/03/2023, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X