Swinging arm spacers (Again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swinging arm spacers (Again)

Whilst several knowledgeable members have thankfully provided lots of data about the diameters and lengths of the various spacers required in the "stack up" along the swinging arm assembly especially on the DC singles and twins, the following may be helpful.

I needed to replace the swinging arm rubber in torsion bushes and spindle on my 20DC. The existing spacers could not be correct as two of them were loose axially on the spindle.
    It seems to me that the length of all the spacers and the thickness of the engine plates and frame lugs is very critical since they should pull up tight against the inner swinging arm bush tubes when bolted up. This ensures that the rubber in the bushes flexes in torsion with movement of the rear suspension. The inner steel tube part of the bush should not rotate around the spindle. (should they ?)
    The correct length of these spacers also ensures the the engine plates are in the correct location so that engine to rear wheel alignment is maintained.

The problem that I found is that if I made the spacers exactly to the Greeves drawings the above wasn't achievable. Whether the frame lugs were the wrong distance apart or the (longer) inner steel tubes in the bushes (new from Villiers) are a different length from the originals or even the fixed spacer at the bottom of the battery box is incorrect, I don't know.

My own experience suggests that it may be prudent to consult the factory drawings but also measure your own dimensions to ensure that the correct "stack up" is achieved. In this way you can unsure that there is no undue load on the frame lugs other than what they were designed for. If any of the spacers are too short, tightening the two nuts will greatly overload the bronze welded joint on the frame lug.

I ended up with all three bushes slightly different from the factory drawing. Albeit by only a small amount.

Trust the above is of some help.

Clive, you are correct that the rubber (Silentbloc) bushes should be firmly clamped by spacers etc. and not rotating on the spindle. Looks like spacers may need to be individually made to achieve this as it would appear currently available bushes would appear to have different lengths that the original. As you say overloading tension on the frame lugs is not a good idea. To do with metrication I suppose.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 17/04/2020, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Yes, John. I became firmly of the belief that the spacers need to be custom made for individual bikes given how the frames were made I guess. One thing puzzles me though. What is the purpose of the fat (3/16" thick) spacer/washer under the spindle nut on the near side. I omitted that and fitted a standard plain washer and shake-proof washers both sides.
      I think your notion of metrication on the Silentbloc bushes has much merit and is likely to be one of the culprits.

Making custom spacers is fine of course, if you are lucky enough to have a lathe !

Comment

I am in West Yorks, have a lathe and could be open to bribery/flattery/persuasion...…….

Comment

Originally posted by Clive Taylor View Post
          What is the purpose of the fat (3/16" thick) spacer/washer under the spindle nut on the near side. I omitted that and fitted a standard plain washer and shake-proof washers both sidee
          Clive. I think the purpose of the 3/16 thick washer is to take and spread the load, the bolt needs to be really tight so as to clamp the bush inner steel sleeves and to stop the spindle turning in these and not flexing the rubber. You dont need shake proof washers as the nuts are (or should be) nylock self locking nuts. The shake proof washers may reduce the tension required to clamp the assy.

Comment

Thanks for that John. Re: the 3/16" washer, I can understand the load spreading idea but there doesn't even seem to be any sort of washer on the off side.Or perhaps only a standard one. I have to say that I didn't know that Nyloc nuts were specified as standard by the factory. I made my new spindle and threaded it BSCy rather than BSF which I think was the standard. 26tpi rather than 18tpi so I can get a canny bite on the nuts. No problem with anything coming loose yet. Seems to be quite a stable assembly.

Comment

They are clearly Nylock nuts in drawing (the one shown is for a trials bike (20TC TCS etc) but arrangement is the same and thread should be BSF, Cycle thread is a bit fine and may strip if too much force applied. There appears to be a standard washer on the RH side but not mentioned. Might be worthy making up another spindle with BSF thread
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X