Greeves Miller Lighting Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves Miller Lighting Switch

I know this has come up before, but I am trying to source a lighting switch for my 20DC. Mine appears to work ok, but the knob has broken, and gone awol.

A search of the site shows previous threads particularly regarding aftermarket 3-position switches, as sold at the time by VS, VMCC amongst others. I have asked Steve at VS, and he pointed me in the direction of the 4-position switch he now has. Will this replace the original one, does anyone know, or suggestions on how to get my existing switch knobbed up again?

Many thanks.

Ian

It will replace the existing switch size/style wise but connections may be different. Greeves used a switch that connected an additional lighting coil when headlamp is switched on to balance charge.
    Best in this situation to fit a Goff/ OA Services electronic regulator as this thread. http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...T%26%238207%3B
    Obviously wiring will be different to the twins but same thing applies, all output from lighting coil/s goes through the regulator and the switch is only used to switch lights on/off
    Why would you need a FOUR position switch on a motorcyle when all that is required is Off Pilot and Head. Its not the amount of positions thats critical but the switching functions within the switch
    The knob from the VS Miller switch may fit yours, an expensive way of getting a knob though.
    Attached is a connection diagram for the genuine Greeves/Miller switch
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 18/09/2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks John. Looking at the VS switch, the four positions are Off - P - H - Direct. I don't know how that would work with the Greeves wiring?

It is odd that Greeves appear to have commissioned their own design of switch from Miller. Seems like making hard work of it, to me!

So, no further forward, really, unless anyone has a switch spare. I will post up in For Sale/Wanted.

Ian

Comment

It seems they have the 3-position one

Villiers Services : - Tools / Workshop Accessories Villiers Parts Motorcycles for sale General motorcycle spares Oils / Paint / Consumables Diecast Models Brake Shoe Re-Lining Service Gift Vouchers Trials Parts Amc Two Stroke (James/ Barnett) Greeves Spares Helmets / Clothes etc ecommerce, open source, shop, online shopping, store

Which appears to be the same as that fitted to the Greeves. Is this the one that, in previous threads, you said is not suitable?

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
          It seems they have the 3-position one

Villiers Services : - Tools / Workshop Accessories Villiers Parts Motorcycles for sale General motorcycle spares Oils / Paint / Consumables Diecast Models Brake Shoe Re-Lining Service Gift Vouchers Trials Parts Amc Two Stroke (James/ Barnett) Greeves Spares Helmets / Clothes etc ecommerce, open source, shop, online shopping, store

Which appears to be the same as that fitted to the Greeves. Is this the one that, in previous threads, you said is not suitable?
          Yes, if you can get them to send you a pic of the terminal side you will see it does not have the same amount of connections as the one in my diagrame. VS know it is not suitable for Greeves why do they continue to tell customers they are. The switch is advertised as for Vincent, Vellocette, Rudge, Royal Enfield and many lightweight two strokes. (Which 2 strokes?)

Comment

Switch

Hi Ian
            The 20 dc should have a villiers light switch villiers sell them it's the same as a lucas type 39 but with villiers on the front
            There is a wiring diagram on hear showing switch if you can't find I can dig my copy out it also shows switch
            Gary

Comment

Gary.

I have had a couple of conversations with Steve about these switches today, but he won't actually say what is for what. The Villiers one you mentioned must be this one.... https://villiersservices.co.uk/index...products_id=55 but is the 4-position switch, which John says is no good. It is the only Villiers one I can find on the VS website.

The 3-position one I mentioned in my previous post is the one John said is also not suitable, although it looks correct. https://villiersservices.co.uk/index...roducts_id=474

VS list a U39 3-position.... https://villiersservices.co.uk/index...roducts_id=216 Not marked Villiers though. Is this the one?

If not, could the Villiers 4-position switch be connected up as a 3-position, not using the direct position? It doesn't have the chrome rim around it....

I only really want a knob....

My head's starting to spin!

Ian

Comment

Ian is this any good on Ebay

Simon

Comment

Ian the one you have is a Miller switch, the repro one that VS sell (with the wrong connections) is this one https://villiersservices.co.uk/index...roducts_id=474 The knob off one of these will fit your switch but the other two 'Villiers/Lucas' ones wont.
                  The repro Villiers one can be used on Greeves if the charging circuit is modified with the Goff/ AO Services AREG6 voltage stabiliser.
                  Last edited by John Wakefield; 18/09/2018, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks Simon, although by the sound of it, probably not, as it is Lucas, not Miller. Thanks for the thought.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                      Ian the one you have is a Miller switch, the repro one that VS sell (with the wrong connections) is this one https://villiersservices.co.uk/index...roducts_id=474 The knob off one of these will fit your switch but the other two 'Villiers/Lucas' ones wont.
                      The repro Villiers one can be used on Greeves if the charging circuit is modified with the Goff/ AO Services AREG6 voltage stabiliser.
                      Thanks John, I am getting the hang of it!

Ian

Comment

Working...
                      X