32dc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32dc

Just acquired frame, forks and swinging arm 32DC102. What year is it John? any info ? No tinware, wheels or engine, may consider building a Grumph if I find an engine on my travels. Dogsbody

Its a 1962 model, shame to make it into TriGreeves as only one of 7 survivors for that year. Not previously known to me, the 32DC was not made in great numbers.

Comment

.... and it appears to be the second one built. As John said, it would be a shame to Grumph it, but it will be an uphill struggle building it back to original. Hang on though, I have a rebuilt 3T motor on my bench with no frame to put it into.... Perhaps the two should meet, one way or the other?

Ian

Comment

Actually it left the factory in September 1961. It wasn't the second one built, there were a fair number earlier in 1961 that had the 61/**** format.

Please don't grumph it Colin, 32DCs are (in my view at least) the most desirable of the roadsters and well worth saving. Only a couple of hundred or so were made. One sold privately last year for £6K!
        Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 13/07/2018, 09:27 AM.
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
          .... and it appears to be the second one built. As John said, it would be a shame to Grumph it, but it will be an uphill struggle building it back to original. Hang on though, I have a rebuilt 3T motor on my bench with no frame to put it into.... Perhaps the two should meet, one way or the other?

Ian
          Second one built in 1962 season, there were others in 1961 (see Colins post)
          worth saving as a 32DC. I have no problem with Grumphs if they were built 'back in the day', but sacrilege to do 2018 builds, and indeed will not conform to latest Historic taxation/ MoT exempt ruling as major components have been changed.
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 13/07/2018, 06:12 PM.

Comment

I stand corrected on the frame number, not being the 2nd one built. Still a nice number though!

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
              Second one built in 1962 season,
              Actually second one built after Greeves changed the numbering system. Like I said, it's a September 1961 bike.
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                Actually second one built after Greeves changed the numbering system. Like I said, it's a September 1961 bike.
                That would make it a 1962 model (this from ID listing)
                1962 32DCSports Twin Roadster 324ccVilliers 3T M16A 32DC101
                The new numbering system started for that year.
                Last edited by John Wakefield; 14/07/2018, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X