Bloody 2 strokes!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloody 2 strokes!!

Went for a 35 mile ride on the EC today as it was a lovely warm day, I noticed early on that the 4T was not running as sweetly as it usually does at lower throttle openings whilst 'bimbling' along some of the country lanes at around 35 to 40mph in top gear. It also seemed to 'bog down' a bit when opening up from slowish speeds in top, something it does not normally do. At first I put it down to the hot weather (2 strokes always seem to go better in cold weather)
    After about 15 miles I reached the disused WW2 airfield at Little Walden, I thought I would stop & check the choke slide to see if this was sticking down. Although everything seemed in order I removed the choke slide just in case. Although the engine started it would not pick up or rev out, even a push start failed to get it to run. It had the symptoms of rich mixture, although carb was not flooding and the choke slide was removed it still failed to clear.
    I knew there was a long downhill section of road down through the village of Hadstock & on to Linton so I decided to push the bike for 1/2 mile to the start of the hill, and halfway along a kind motorist (ex bike owner) stopped to see if he could assist.
    Anyway got to the hill pushed off selected first and dropped the clutch and , surprise surprise the engine started, picked up and cleared its throat. It then ran fine for the rest of the ride home.
    I left the bike for about 15 mins and then tried to start it again, same problem starting as if choked. So took the S25 carb off and dismantled it. Although the jets seemed clear, there was a lot of sediment in the bottom of the float bowl, and also some blobs of water. Cleaned everything, including air filter element, reassembled it and put it back on bike. Engine started after after a few kicks & ran ok, I took it for a short ride and it was back to running smoothly without bogging down. So looks like it was the sediment or more likely the water that was causing the trouble.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 28/05/2018, 08:50 PM.

Sounds like our old enemy Mr Ethanol has been at work possibly John???????????

Comment

Bloody 2 strokes

Hello John
      I had a similar problem with my A65.
      I traced it to the fuel pipe dissolving due to ethanol.
      I have since changed all my fuel pipes to ethanol proof ones and have had no problems for a few years. I bought the pipe from a chap near Newark.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Norris View Post
        Hello John
        I had a similar problem with my A65.
        I traced it to the fuel pipe dissolving due to ethanol.
        I have since changed all my fuel pipes to ethanol proof ones and have had no problems for a few years. I bought the pipe from a chap near Newark.
        No problem with fuel pipe Mike, I still use the clear PVC & have large coil of it I acquired some years ago that was being thrown out from a firm I worked for. Despite hardening after a year or so it does not dissolve.
        I suspect condensation has formed in the tank over winter months so plan to drain tank and re fill.

Comment

Working...
        X