headstock bearing removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headstock bearing removal

How do I remove the outer race from the alloy beam?, I have tried heat,various pullers and swearing but no luck, any ideas please. Les.

Originally posted by mayfield View Post
    How do I remove the outer race from the alloy beam?, I have tried heat,various pullers and swearing but no luck, any ideas please. Les.
    This from a post by 'brokabolt' May 2013

Removing the headstock bearings is so simple. It took a mate and myself 15 mins max to remove both races. First remove the cage and rollers, the cages are quite flimsy and can be removed with a screwdriver. Then weld a washer just slightly smaller than the inner race on top of the inner race. We then welded a nut on to the washer which had the same thread as the slide hammer. Top yoke in vice(one man job), forks on ground, with me holding and mate doing the hammer(two man job). Job done.
    Mick

Comment

should have gone to specsavers!!!!!

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
      This from a post by 'brokabolt' May 2013

Removing the headstock bearings is so simple. It took a mate and myself 15 mins max to remove both races. First remove the cage and rollers, the cages are quite flimsy and can be removed with a screwdriver. Then weld a washer just slightly smaller than the inner race on top of the inner race. We then welded a nut on to the washer which had the same thread as the slide hammer. Top yoke in vice(one man job), forks on ground, with me holding and mate doing the hammer(two man job). Job done.
      Mick
      Nice quote john, only trouble is, brokeabolt is describing the removal of the inner bearing race from the fork yoke..................not the outer race from the alloy beam, as les specified

Comment

Yes but same principle applies, weld a piece of metal to the outer race then you can drift it out from the opposite end,

Comment

Steering Head Bearing Removal....

There's more info that may be of help on this thread Les....

Brian.

Comment

steering head bearing removal

Left overnight with a puller in tension after spraying with WD40, next morning one turn of puller and ping it.s out. Thanks for all responses, Les.

Comment

Working...
            X