4T Air Filter Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4T Air Filter Body

I will not be needing the air filter for my East Coaster now. Thanks to the info and dimensions John Wakefield gave me I have managed to make one. I used a piece of aluminium sheet from an old computer case for the back and bought a piece of perforated S/Steel for the sides. I had to make the clip out of 1.5 mm stainless steel wire as the clips I had were for a 2T round filter. The wire came from my days as a dental technician making orthodontic appliances. I have tried to put an attachment here to show the end result but I don't know if it's worked. Thanks again John.
    Attached Files

It worked and looks good!

Comment

Looks good Chris, no doubt you could make a few more if members wanted them.
      Those dental technician skills have payed off.

Comment

Thanks Brian and John, I have to make another now as my Essex Twin is missing the same thing. Worse still I have nothing at all for this one and will have to make all of it. I scrounged the aluminium from my brother so supply is limited I'm afraid. Not difficult to make but a bit time consuming. I would say to anyone with the info I had from you John 'have a go' it's a lot cheaper than buying new. Got the MOT for the this one on Saturday so on the road at last. Will have to run it in for a while so will be taking it easy for the first 100 miles or so. Sounds exactly as I remember, a lot if induction noise until it picks up. Ride safe. Chris

Comment

Did you make the gauze filter element to the drawing I sent you Chris? As without this it will have loud induction & of course will not filter the air.
          If anyone else wants to make one here are the drawings I sent Chris
          Attached Files
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 13/06/2016, 10:24 PM.

Comment

No John I cheated and made an inner wall of perforated metal smaller than the outer wall (1 cm gap between them all round) and then sandwiched air filter foam between them. Only restriction here is it has to be inside the narrow side of the induction port. I bought the filter foam at the last Kempton jumble and it was £6 for a sheet 18in x 12in x 1cm and the S/Steel perforated sheet I bought on ebay for £7.65 plus £6.00 postage. (ebay number 252037977191). So cost was just under £20.00 not bad if you compare it to £80 inc post and VAT from the only source we have now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Solway View Post
              Only restriction here is it has to be inside the narrow side of the induction port.
              Yes the original one has a 'dead area' there with no convolutions. Should work ok.

Comment

Working...
              X