24DC starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24DC starting

My 24DC takes 11 kicks to start(on average) when cold. When hot it will start 1st time. It is a 1961 model and I wondered if it has the correct carb. It has just had new points and condenser fitted. It has no choke and so needs a good tickle when cold. Any suggestions as to how I can improve starting? Thanks, Stephen

24DC starting.

Hello Stephen. Let me first say that I'm not that good with the 2,3 & 4 T engines, but have played around with a few engines of differing sorts over these past millenia, (yes I'm that old!). Anyway. the problem with most 2-strokes is that everything has to be nearly 'spot on' before you get reliability. Assuming that the Plugs are OK, the timing is correct, the Coils & condensers are ok, all wiring is ok, no earth leakage is occuring, (more comon than you think!), that the generator is magnetised sufficiently and the ignition switch, (if fitted) is ok, then that side should be fine. Fuel - Villiers S.22 or S.24/5 carbs can be fitted with a simple shutter mechanism that operates within the carb slide as a choke. Similarly, some Air Cleaners have cutouts that can be operated to provide a similar effect.
    If this is all ok, then you need to check primary compression. A leak at the main bearing seals due to 'drop' of the crank within worn main bearings of a tiny amount can make starting near impossible.
    Finally, (based on years of watching people struggling needlessly), to draw sufficient air over the venturi and pick up the petroil vapour, do not open the Throttle wide as you kick it. Better starting often occurs with the throttle just open. Modern engines achieve this automatically. The 3 cyl Laverdas and Boxer BMWs with Dell Orto Pumper carbs would get hydraulic lock and not turn over unless the engine started cranking with the Throttle firmly shut and progressively opened.

There are those in the GRA who are experts on these engines, I'm sure one of them will sort it for you. Peter.

Comment

The engine in the 24DC should be a 32A single, Peter has given you some good basic advice. As it is the cold starting thats a problem I think this is lack of choke, so you need to get this fitted. The correct carb for the 32A is a Villiers S25/2 Main jet 140, Pilot Jet 35, Needle 3 1/2, set out 1.85 ins Throttle slide 4. The choke slide is usually operated by a push down plunger on top of carb, but can also be cable operated. You need to get these bits from Villiers Services http://www.villiersservices.co.uk/

Comment

24DC cold starting

Thank you both Peter and John for your replies. John, you say the correct carb is the villiers S25/2. Mine is a S25/1 but has the 1800B (non strangler) filter. Presumably the S25/1 was supplied with the 'standard' filter which incorporated a strangler? I'll contact Villiers services. Many thanks, Stephen
        ps I am a GRA member

Comment

I quoted from specification in Villiers Singles & Twins by Roy Bacon. I do not know the significance of /1, /2 etc. Maybe someone else can give advice. I would have thought your bike should have the standard round Villiers air cleaner without strangler. The small cylindrical one with strangler shutters is 1950's rather than 60's as fitted to the 8E etc with cylindrical flywheel cover.
          The choke on the S25 is a slide within the carb.
          You need to email Rob to get your membership updated

Comment

My 1961 24DB has a 32A engine and is fitted as John says with the non - strangler air filter and the rod operated plunger choke. The carb is designated S25/6, but I have never seen an explanation of the variations of the S25. Possibly just minor differences; on mine, the float bears directly onto the fuel needle i.e. no brass lever.

Comment

S25 carbs

Maybe details of the S25 variations are covered in the new Carrick & Walker book? Brian you have a copy, could you have a look.

Comment

Villiers carbs.

Ok John, I'll post something in the 'Non Greeves Engines' sub-forum on this topic.

Brian.

Comment

S.25 Carb Types

Hi......I've got these...will post on relevant site. PR.

Comment

Brians already done it Peter on a sticky

Comment

24DC starting

Just for interest. I contacted Villiers spares and they sent me the choke slide plus 'bits': I fitted these and,voila! no more cold starting problems.
                      Stephen

Comment

Cold starting probs sorted!

Good to hear Stephen!

Pleased that you got a result.

Brian.

Comment

Cold starting.

Good.....nice to hear Villiers Spares helped out.

Peter R.

Comment

Working...
                          X