Rebuilding road wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding road wheels

I am having my wheels rebuilt for my East Coaster and was asked whether I want them to cross once or twice. Originally they were once but was informed:

"The original wheels were built with the spokes just crossing once, but I can see that the new front hub you gave me, has previously been built with the spokes crossing twice.

The cross one pattern is pretty naff and the spokes tend to come loose after a while. It would be a better job if I cross the spokes twice. (On both wheels)".

Does it make any difference having them crossing twice if it is better?

Crossing the spokes once, gives the spoke direction a very acute angle, crossing twice, or three times allows the spokes to pull against each other, at a much wider angle & gives the wheel more strength & ability to transfer more power.
    Last edited by dave higgins; 09/02/2016, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
      I am having my wheels rebuilt for my East Coaster and was asked whether I want them to cross once or twice. Originally they were once but was informed:

"The original wheels were built with the spokes just crossing once, but I can see that the new front hub you gave me, has previously been built with the spokes crossing twice.

The cross one pattern is pretty naff and the spokes tend to come loose after a while. It would be a better job if I cross the spokes twice. (On both wheels)".

Does it make any difference having them crossing twice if it is better?
      I confirm that the spokes on the East Coaster (front & back wheel) only cross once. I have not had any problems with spokes coming loose in the 24000 miles I have ridden the bike.
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 10/02/2016, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X