Prototype 20D (419D)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prototype 20D (419D)

Did this ever end up in a GRA members hands?

Was sold by Bonhams back in April 2012

The bike would not have been a prototype as the frame number is a 1954 production series 20D. 419D
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 02/12/2023, 04:48 PM.

It was propped up rather forlornly near some Norton racers on a stand at the Telford Show in February 2015. It didn't seem to be for sale so I was curious about why it was there. Over the two days of the show I made several attempts to meet the owner and find out more about it but each time I went to the stand he was never there.

A few years ago this machine came to my attention via a frame dating enquiry that included the frame number rubbing and several photos. No work seems to have been done on it between then and the Telford Show.

Comment

Originally posted by Greevesnut View Post
      It was propped up rather forlornly near some Norton racers on a stand at the Telford Show in February 2015. It didn't seem to be for sale so I was curious about why it was there. Over the two days of the show I made several attempts to meet the owner and find out more about it but each time I went to the stand he was never there.

A few years ago this machine came to my attention via a frame dating enquiry that included the frame number rubbing and several photos. No work seems to have been done on it between then and the Telford Show.
      Thanks for that update Peter, all very strange, one would have thought it would be under restoration by now. The front mudguard does not look correct, more like an Arial Arrow, but the reg number 863AHK is a 1954 Essex mark but may not be connected with the Greeves. H&H did not make reference to that in their catalogue just said 'unregistered'.
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 01/12/2023, 11:26 PM.

Comment

The owner, Chris Wilson, got in touch with the GRA when he acquired the bike. I put him in touch with Dave Bradley, who know his way around early Greeves models. They worked out what parts were needed to restore it, but I don't know how far they got at finding them.

Chris has a stupendous collection of MotoGP bikes, some of which were on the Telford stand that day. They include bikes originally ridden by the likes of Rossi, Roberts, Spencer. They get ridden at events like Goodwood.

So far as I know he still has the Greeves, although I have no idea if it has progressed. Clearly he has a lot of irons in the fire, but I should imagine it's ticking over quietly in the background. Nice bloke.
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Thanks for that update Colin, we still have the mystery of the reg. number. I have recently been in touch with a Mr J Taylor of Leigh on Sea who has the Essex registration cards for the period 1921-1974 he is going to look to see if he has a card for 863 AHK. The full ledgers are at Essex Records Office but that would involve a visit to look.
          From the frame number its a 1954 PRODUCTION 20D so the prototype bit was auctioneers hype. Never the less its a very early bike I know of only one earlier surviving example 413D
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 01/12/2023, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Just revisiting this site, it would appear that Essex Archives at Chelmsford have the registration records for 1 - 999AHK
            ​​​​​​
            C/DF 11/117 Register of motor vehicles Register of motor vehicles
            Item
            1 vol.
            Register of motor VEHICLEs 1-999 AHK
            So if current owner is reading this he should contact them to get the record for 863AHK to see if its for the Greeves, if so he can get an authenticated copy to reclaim the number which is currently not on the DVLA. Essex Archive contact details are email ero.searchroom@essex.gov.uk or 033301 32497​

Comment

Thanks very much John I will pass this onto the current owner as soon as I have finished the bike restoration
              Gary

Comment

Working...
              X